Senior Software Engineer - Database Reliability Engineering (NoSQL) (m/f/d)
- Hamburg, Germany
Our Database Reliability Engineering (NoSQL) team develops Yelp’s database infrastructure, writing the automation that allows us to scale our Cassandra distributed datastore clusters to serve millions of queries per second and enabling Yelp to connect users with great local businesses.
You'll be responsible for developing Yelp's database as a service platform, keeping our underlying database infrastructure up and running smoothly in production. You'll design interfaces, automation, monitoring, and alerting to keep us stable, and will work closely with developers as they decide how to store their data and optimize performance. You will also work on designing and developing orchestrators of datastores (notably Cassandra) and storage subsystems with Kubernetes Operators.
We're looking for people with a passion for all things related to distributed systems, serving queries fast, uptime, scaling, automation of critical workflows and solving hard problems with the right tools. You will be joining a team of experts, working on groundbreaking database technology, distributed systems and storage engineering. We have fun working on these challenges and are looking for others who do too!
Where You Come In:
- Work closely with engineers in developing new features and services
- Help define best practices for storing data at Yelp
- Build next-generation cluster management tooling for Cassandra
- Develop and maintain easy, intuitive API (REST/GraphQL) interfaces to our databases that keep developers moving fast
- Improve the observability of our distributed databases usage by instrumenting key systems
- Support and administer Cassandra clusters, as well as the stacks they run on
- Propose, test, and deploy database tuning and configuration changes
- Participate in our daytime on-call rotation, acting as a point of call for automated systems and highlighting availability issues when they can't be automatically resolved
- Use tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus and Puppet to manage and build the underlying infrastructure on top of AWS
What it Takes to Succeed:
- An experienced software engineer with an interest in distributed databases or a database expert with strong software engineering skills
- Fluency in Python, Java, Golang, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- Proficiency with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Knowledge of best practices related to operating distributed systems in production—scaling, tuning, performance, and disaster recovery
- Comfortable working with Linux
- Excellent communication skills
- Relevant industry experience operating distributed database systems like Cassandra or any other NoSQL databases
- Exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 30 days paid vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe
- Subsidization of your public transportation card and €50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, team events, happy hours, foosball, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Race/Ethnic Origin, Sex, Religion/Belief, Disability, Age, Sexual Orientation.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top