Ever wish some information about a business was immediately at your fingertips? Maybe something about their health & safety, opening hours, services, or just a unique insight about that business? Interested in exploring that data, finding inventive ways to collect, curate, and make it easily accessible for others to use? How about doing that at scale? Does taking millions of these data points and helping hundreds of millions of consumers connect with millions of businesses sound exciting? Come and join us!
The Semantic Business Information (SBI) team at Yelp is looking for a data backend engineer to help build and support this platform. We implement the platforms that collect, curate, and serve critical and up-to-date information about all businesses on Yelp. We then provide any internal team this structured business information, so that they, in turn, can create richer user experiences. We are the backbone for the most important content that Yelp provides consumers and we would love to welcome a great engineer in our team!
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Build, extend, and support our backend platforms to collect all trusted business data.
- Team up with other engineering groups, such as Search, Local Services, and Ads to build instant-access API’s and streaming solutions that make it easy for them to consume business data.
- Work closely with our database teams to ensure we use the right storage stack for our level of scale.
- Build tools and services that regularly monitor and ensure this data is of high quality.
- Make build-or-buy decisions that help reach our business goals.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Fluency in an object-oriented language (like Python or Java), SQL (or NoSQL), Unix, developing within a Continuous Integration/Deployment pipeline.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- In-depth experience with building effective APIs (like REST or GraphQL).
- Comfortable with performance analysis tools (e.g. tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools).
- Several years of full-time working experience.
- Comfortable working and coordinating requirements across teams.
What You’ll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £75 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- Public transportation season ticket loan.
- £56 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.