Senior Quantitative Researcher
At Yelp, we connect people with great local businesses. We support our mission with subscription products like ads and page customizations, helping businesses extend their reach and connect with more consumers. Our customers are critically important to us, and we strive to ensure that our products and services best suit business owners’ needs.
As a Senior Quantitative Researcher at Yelp, you’ll be part of the revenue-impacting Customer & Sales Intelligence (CSI) team, whose goal it is to improve and understand customer retention, a key lever in Yelp’s business model. Collaborating with business operations, engineering, and product teams across both our London and San Francisco offices, you’ll help us discover what makes our customers happy and how we can drive revenue via retention programs and interventions.
CSI provides intelligence to inform Yelp’s business and product decisions as well as predictive signals for tasks such as customer targeting and segmentation. To get there, we’ll use causal inference, data analysis, and machine learning tools to back our business and product understanding, forecast future effects, and design and analyze experiments to test hypotheses. As a relatively new initiative, you’ll have the opportunity to help shape CSI and our future investment decisions. Come help us make Yelp a better place for our customers!
Where You Come In:
- You will identify and own challenging problems, form testable hypotheses, and drive significant business impact
- You will lead the design and analysis of experiments or development of causal and predictive models to test your ideas
- You will collaborate with product and engineering to affect changes in production systems and provide intelligence to other teams
- You will communicate your conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences alike
- You will keep the team and our projects current on new developments in ML and statistics by reading papers and attending conferences and local events
- You will productionize and automate model pipelines within Python services
What it Takes to Succeed:
- You have several years of work experience in data science, machine learning, or a related field
- You hold a MS (or higher) in a quantitative discipline such as Econometrics, Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Math, etc.
- You have experience with data analysis/statistical software and packages (pandas/statsmodels/sklearn within Python, R, etc.) and SQL
- You've got an in-depth knowledge of statistics and machine learning: experiment design, predictive modeling, forecasting, correlation analysis, and causal inference
- You're motivated to develop deep product and business knowledge and to connect abstract modeling and analysis tasks with business value
- You are passionate about math and statistics coupled with curiosity and tenacity to get to the bottom of each problem and carry your ideas end to end
- You're comfortable and willing to learn our development environment: Python, Linux (shell), git, etc., and an appreciation for good software engineering
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top