Senior Platform Software Engineer - Data Streams (Remote)
- Flexible / Remote
Are you the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone is happy to gloss over? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? Keep reading.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 180M+ reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who selects the perfect ad from millions of options in the blink of an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so we can do even better next time? We do! The platform engineers at Yelp make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team and build elegant, scalable platforms that bring the potential of data streams to Yelp’s features teams. From transporting events reliably between services and datastores with Kafka to processing massive streams of data in real-time with Flink and Beam, our team offers simple abstractions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Where You Come In:
- Build platforms that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users 24/7 at ever increasing scale
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency, and availability depending on the problem
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Based or willing to relocate within Germany or United Kingdom
- Several years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems such as Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Apache Spark or Kubernetes
- Experience operating TB scale data warehouse or data lake technologies such as AWS Redshift, AWS Athena / Apache Presto, AWS S3 and so on
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways
- A love for writing beautiful code -- we use Python, Java & Scala; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job
- Comfort running services or batches in a Unix environment
- A minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- £58 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Quarterly offsites
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top