Senior Platform Software Engineer - Data Streams
- London, United Kingdom
Are you the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone is happy to gloss over? Keep reading.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 180M+ reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who selects the perfect ad from millions of options in the blink of an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so we can do even better next time? We do! The platform engineers at Yelp make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team and build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, map-reduce, and streaming solutions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Where You Come In:
- Build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency, and availability depending on the problem
- Work with product management and data science to identify and use the data most relevant to the problem at hand
- Observe the power of AI from up close, but more importantly, bring it to the mass(es) of data we have at Yelp
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Several years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems
- Exposure to one or more technologies, such as Apache Flink, Kubernetees, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, or Hadoop/MapReduce
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily
- A love for writing beautiful code -- we use Python, Java & Scala; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job
- Comfort running services or batches in a Unix environment
- A minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree
- A love for delighting Yelp’s users with experiences they shouldn’t be able to live without
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top