Senior Platform Engineer (Elasticsearch, Flink, AWS)
Do you fret over consistency versus availability guarantees? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? That’s what we do! You might have heard of one of our open source projects like ElastAlert, PaasTA, or data-pipeline. Or maybe you’ve read our blog post (1) on how we've extended ElasticSearch for fast map lookups or watched our talk (2) at Flink Forward about introducing scalable stream processing at Yelp.
The Data & Production Engineering group at Yelp designs, builds, and operates the core infrastructure and critical services that all of Yelp’s feature teams rely on. We do everything from scaling our database platforms to storing petabytes of data, building systems to transport that data reliably in real-time streams, transforming these streams to build materialized views, and providing the computational infrastructure to run the batches and services that make up the website.
We build interfaces for engineers depending on these systems, making them easy to use while keeping them highly available and performant. Our systems power many critical applications including ads, search, transactions and revenue, spam detection, and machine learning, among others.
If this sounds like you, come join the team that is the glue that connects Yelp’s feature teams to their underlying infrastructure.
Where You Come In:
- You will design, build, and deploy systems that run 24/7 at ever increasing scale
- You will develop tools and automate processes to find answers to challenging questions and reveal the unknown
- You will write code and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers
- You will support the infrastructure and software your team develops
- You will participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- You have a strong knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- You have experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems, e.g., Kafka, Flink, Cassandra, Kubernetes, and Elasticsearch
- You are fluent in Python, Java, Scala, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- You have a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- You're hungry for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways
- You have a strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, and networking
- You have experience using and operating Linux
- You have an understanding of configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible) and monitoring (e.g., Nagios, Sensu, Prometheus)
- You've had exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- You have experience working with and contributing to open source projects
- You have excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top