Senior Database Reliability Engineer
Do you fret over consistency versus availability guarantees? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? Our Database Reliability Engineering (DRE) team supports Yelp’s database infrastructure, writing the automation that allows us to scale our MySQL and Cassandra clusters to serve hundreds of thousands of queries per second and enabling Yelp to connect users with great local businesses.
You'll be responsible for keeping our database infrastructure up and running smoothly in production. You'll design monitoring and alerting to keep us stable, develop tooling to automatically heal and scale our infrastructure to meet growth and demand, and work closely with developers as they decide which database to use and how to optimize data structures and queries to get the best performance.
We're looking for people with a passion for all things related to serving queries fast, uptime, scaling, and solving hard problems with the right tools. We have fun working on these challenges, and are looking for others who do, too!
Where You Come In:
- You will support and administer Cassandra and MySQL, as well as the stacks they run on
- You will propose, test, and deploy database tuning and configuration changes
- You will build next-generation cluster management tooling for Cassandra and MySQL
- You will deliver easy, intuitive interfaces to our databases that keep developers moving fast
- You will improve the observability of our database usage by instrumenting key systems
- You will participate in our on-call rotation, acting as a point of call for automated systems highlighting availability issues
- You will work closely with developers in supporting new features and services
- You will serve as a knowledge resource for our team's software and systems
- You will help maintain our documentation and share your learnings with the rest of the team
What it Takes to Succeed:
- You consider yourself an experienced software engineer with an interest in databases or a database administrator with strong development skills
- You have a strong fluency in Python, Java, Scala, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- You are proficient with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- You have knowledge of best practices related to scaling, tuning, performance, and disaster recovery
- You are comfortable working with Linux
- You have excellent communication skills
- You have relevant industry experience operating Cassandra or MySQL
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top