Quantitative Researcher (Stats, Machine Learning, Python/R)
At Yelp, we connect people with great local businesses. We support our mission with subscription products like ads and page customizations, helping businesses extend their reach and connect with more consumers. Our customers are critically important to us, and we strive to ensure that our products and services best suit business owners’ needs.
As a Quantitative Researcher at Yelp, you’ll be part of the revenue-impacting Customer & Sales Intelligence (CSI) team, whose goal it is to improve and understand customer retention, a key lever in Yelp’s business model. Collaborating with business operations, engineering, and product teams across both our London and San Francisco offices, you’ll help us discover what makes our customers happy and how we can drive revenue via retention programs and interventions.
CSI provides intelligence to inform Yelp’s business and product decisions as well as predictive signals for tasks such as customer targeting and segmentation. To get there, we’ll use causal inference, data analysis, and machine learning tools to back our business and product understanding, forecast future effects, and design and analyze experiments to test hypotheses. As a relatively new initiative, you’ll have the opportunity to help shape CSI and our future investment decisions. Come help us make Yelp a better place for our customers!
What You Will Do:
- Identify and own challenging problems, form testable hypotheses, and drive significant business impact
- Lead the design and analysis of experiments or development of causal and predictive models to test your ideas
- Collaborate with product and engineering to affect changes in production systems and provide intelligence to other teams
- Communicate your conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences alike
- Keep the team and our projects current on new developments in ML and statistics by reading papers and attending conferences and local events
- Productionize and automate model pipelines within Python services
What We Are Looking For:
- MS (or higher) in a quantitative discipline such as Econometrics, Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Math, etc.
- Experience with data analysis/statistical software and packages (pandas/statsmodels/sklearn within Python, R, etc.) and SQL
- Experience with statistics and machine learning: experiment design, predictive modeling, forecasting, and/or causal inference
- Motivation to develop deep product and business knowledge and to connect abstract modeling and analysis tasks with business value
- Passion for math and statistics coupled with curiosity and tenacity to get to the bottom of each problem and carry your ideas end to end
- Comfort with or willingness to learn our development environment: Python, Linux (shell), git, etc., and an appreciation for good software engineering
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top