- London, United Kingdom
Yelp is seeking a network engineer to help run our corporate and product networks. As a member of our dedicated networking team, you'll be designing, implementing, and supporting systems across the whole company.
Here at Yelp we’re passionate about automating our network infrastructure. We use Ansible, Nornir, and Python as our tools of choice. By using automation we’re able to greatly reduce our operations workload so that there’s more time for the things we would rather be doing, like delivering projects. We are looking for someone who shares this passion, and wants to join a fast paced, fun loving international team.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for keeping Yelp’s network secure and reliable so our 4000+ worldwide employees can be successful, and also help our users to find great local businesses.
Where You Come In:
- Design and implement new infrastructure, and improve existing networks
- Partner with established vendors and develop new vendor relationships
- Work with service providers to design, provision, and troubleshoot connectivity
- Configure network devices and supporting equipment using Ansible and other automation tools
- Implement and support all of the important networking acronyms and abbreviations: ACLs, BGP, ECMP, OSPF, VIPs, VPNs, VRRP, MPLS, OMG, BBQ, etc.
- Develop and advocate for good networking practices at all stages of the product and project lifecycle
- Maintain a reliable and seamless infrastructure that includes LAN, WAN, VPN, and AWS cloud connectivity
- Troubleshoot networking problems and work with other teams when the problem really isn’t the network
- Improve our network maintenance and monitoring tools (Zabbix, Kentik, home grown tools) to help get to the root of problems quickly
- Participate in on-call rotation to support our global users
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Effective communication skills - both interactive and through documentation.
- Previous experience managing Internet connectivity with multiple peers.
- Experience supporting both corporate end users and large scale applications - people have noticed when your stuff was broken.
- Juniper experience - you don’t have to know more than the vendor does, but it couldn’t hurt.
- Automation with Ansible - manual configuration should be a last resort.
- Python scripting, and storing/managing those scripts in git repositories.
- Load balancing, firewalls, and traffic analysis (individual packets/flows and trending) should be no big deal.
- Aruba or any wireless networking experience.
- Being able to work with and appreciate people who rely on the network to work on great stuff.
- Knowledge of what to monitor on a network and how to react when the graphs change.
What You’ll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- £58 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Quarterly offsites
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top