Infrastructure Platform Engineer (remote)
- Flexible / Remote
Do you like building infrastructure platforms for other software engineers? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? That’s what we do! You might have heard of one of our open source projects like PaaSTA, data-pipeline, or Tron (check out our Github for more). Or maybe you’ve read our blog post on how we opensourced Clusterman and added support for Kubernetes.
Infrastructure engineers at Yelp design and build the underlying systems on which other teams build our service. We do everything from scaling database platforms, to storing petabytes of data, scheduling and deploying 1000s of containers for services, batches, and machine learning jobs across multiple AWS regions.
Crucially, we establish powerful interfaces for engineers depending on these systems, making them easy to use while keeping them highly available and performant. Our systems power critical applications including ads, search, transactions and revenue, spam detection, and machine learning, among others.
If this sounds like you, join the team that is the empowering Yelp’s engineers to build and maintain some impressive features!
Where You Come In:
- Build custom solutions when off-the-shelf solutions don’t work at our ever increasing scale and contribute upstream to open source projects
- Develop tools and automate processes to provide a resilient and powerful platform for other software engineers
- Write software and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers
- Debug and solve complex issues with systems and software that power Yelp
- Use tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus and Puppet to manage and build the underlying infrastructure on top of AWS
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Based or willing to relocate within United Kingdom
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- Fluency in Python, Golang, Java, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems, e.g., Kubernetes, Kafka, Flink, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch
- Experience using and operating Linux and containerisation technologies e.g. Docker
- The ability to tenaciously track down complex bugs and debug unfamiliar systems
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, and networking
- Exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Understanding of configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible) and monitoring (e.g. Sensu, Prometheus)
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Quarterly offsites
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top