At Yelp Data Science, we see our > 100M reviews not only as a great source of information about the best salted caramel ice cream in SF, but also as a vast storehouse of data. We leverage that data to connect our users with great local businesses. We work tightly with the product and engineering teams to find the opportunities hidden in usage data and the features hidden in our user generated content. Data science at Yelp answers questions ranging from who is likely to love a certain flavor of ice cream to which features are likely to move the needle...and we define the needle.
We’re looking for a Head of Data Science to lead these Data Science efforts at Yelp. This is an opportunity for a proven leader in the field who can synthesize deep statistical expertise with communication and vision to lead our Data Science team. In this role you’ll be leading and growing the team, setting vision for Data Science at Yelp, and interfacing directly with executive stakeholders. If you’re passionate about leading teams of scientists, guiding people to ask and answer deep questions in large datasets, and communicating that passion broadly, we want to hear from you!
We Are Looking For:
- MS/PhD or equivalent experience in Statistics, Math, Physics, Computer Science or related quantitative/technical field
- Demonstrated experience in a people management & technical leadership capacity
- Strong communication skills
- Able to communicate complex data analysis to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Extensive experience with analytical and quantitative problem solving
- Expertise in probability and statistics, including machine learning, modeling and experimental design
- Expertise with analysis tool(s) such as Pandas or R
- Comfortable with Unix, SQL, Python toolsets
- (preferred) Active contributor to open source software
- (preferred) Experience with data visualization
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.