Entry-Level Software Engineer - Backend (m/f)
Our Hamburg office is located in the heart of the city and brings with it the unique advantages of booming international teams, all of whom share the same floor and are brought together by the same goal: empowering Yelp’s products for business owners.
Our backend engineers work on a wide range of problems every day. A backend engineer at Yelp can start the day working on improving the performance of a batch job and finish the day implementing a new API endpoint to power a mobile application feature. They switch easily from writing database queries to debugging tricky problems in Splunk.
With the support of your onboarding mentor, you’ll be encouraged to share your own opinions, come up with new ideas, and build your knowledge base. And if you're not familiar with a particular technology yet, don’t worry, we’ll help you get there!
Check out our GitHub page (https://yelp.github.io/) to see what we’re up to!
What You Will Do:
- Design and build new systems to support business owners
- Work with a variety of technologies and systems, from deployment pipelines to RESTful APIs
- Dig into the services that support our organization and look for ways to make Yelp better every day
- Advocate for best practices and champion new technologies
What We Are Looking For:
- Experience with at least one dynamic language
- Basic knowledge of at least one popular server-side framework (Django, Twisted, Rails, Pyramid, CodeIgniter, Play, etc.)
- Desire to learn, share your knowledge, and always improve your engineer-self
- Basic familiarity with a Linux environment
- Belief in well-tested code
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 2-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe
- Complementary elective German lessons for international employees
- Subsidization of your public transportation card and €50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, team events, happy hours, foosball, and more!
Back to top