What do a user searching for their favorite brunch spot, an entrepreneur looking to grow their business, and a homeowner trying to find a dependable contractor have in common? Yelp, of course! Spread across 32 countries and listed as one of the top internet properties in the US, Yelp is on a mission to help people connect with great local businesses one review at a time.
The Search Platform team at Yelp designs, builds, and maintains core search services that power business critical use-cases like search ranking, ad delivery, recommendations among others. We are responsible for building and scaling our backend search engine, our real-time indexing system responsible for making massive amounts of Yelp data consumable for search, running machine learning models for ranking, and the Search API used to build, execute and augment search results to surface the most relevant business, photo, review content.
Where You Come In:
- Manage a team of engineers focused on building distributed systems infrastructure for search
- Help the team stay happy and productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from recent graduates to senior engineers
- Collaborate with other engineering teams and product managers to help define the technical vision
- Participate in the hiring process, from scouting potential candidates to interviewing and helping close new hires
- Scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on cost efficiency
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and debug/tune/code/fix alongside your teamDrive (and teach) technical incident response
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Previous experience as a technical lead or manager, with the empathy and communication skills to match
- A “people first” approach and a deep care for healthy team culture
- Experience with building large scale distributed systems
- Experience working with one of more technologies, such as Elasticsearch, Apache Lucene, Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Cassandra, Kubernetes
- An understanding of how to achieve high availability, fault tolerance, performance, and disaster recovery
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, etc.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Quarterly offsites
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume