Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
What do a user searching for their favorite brunch spot, an entrepreneur looking to grow their business, and a homeowner trying to find a dependable contractor have in common? Yelp, of course! Spread across 32 countries and listed as one of the top internet properties in the US, Yelp is on a mission to help people connect with great local businesses one review at a time.
Our infrastructure teams design, build, and operate large-scale distributed systems that power all of Yelp’s platforms and features. We love to scale complex systems while maintaining high reliability, get a thrill out of making our infrastructure elastic, and care about providing an exceptional developer experience for engineers across the company. As an infrastructure engineer manager, you’ll enjoy leading and inspiring a team of skilled engineers to develop the next generation of our data and production infrastructure to support Yelp’s ever-growing scale.
What You Will Do:
- Help the team stay happy and productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from recent graduates to senior engineers
- Work with the team to develop and own a product vision that you’ll communicate to the company
- Participate in the hiring process, from scouting potential candidates to interviewing and helping close new hires
- Monitor availability and performance of distributed systems like NoSQL Datastores
- Scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on cost efficiency
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and debug/tune/code/fix alongside your team
- Drive (and teach) technical incident response
What We Are Looking For:
- Previous experience as a technical lead or manager, with the empathy and communication skills to match
- A “people first” approach and a deep care for healthy team culture
- Experience with building, configuration, scaling, and monitoring distributed systems like datastores (e.g., Cassandra), messaging systems (e.g., Kafka), or resource management systems (e.g., Mesos)
- An understanding of how to achieve high availability, fault tolerance, performance, and disaster recovery
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Mastery of Linux or Unix
- Command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with configuration management: Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume
Back to top