Engineering Manager - Distributed Systems (London)
What You Will Do:
- Help the team stay happy and productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes.
- Enjoy providing frequent constructive feedback while coaching and mentoring engineers.
- Work with the team to develop and own a product vision that you’ll communicate to the company.
- Participate in the hiring process, from scouting potential candidates to interviewing and helping close new hires.
- Monitor availability and performance of distributed systems like NoSQL Datastores.
- Scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on cost-efficiency.
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and debug/tune/code/fix alongside your team.
- Drive (and teach) technical incident response.
We Are Looking For:
- Previous experience as a technical lead or manager, with the empathy and communication skills to match.
- Experience with building, configuration, scaling, and monitoring distributed systems like datastores (e.g., Cassandra), messaging systems (e.g., Kafka), or resource management systems (e.g., Mesos).
- You understand how to achieve high availability, fault tolerance, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Mastery of Linux or Unix.
- Command of your favourite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with configuration management: Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt.
Meet Some of Yelp's Employees
Senior Training Manager, Local Sales
Sahr runs Yelp's Sales Training Team in San Francisco. Combining friendly fun with hands-on learning, she shows new hires how to shine on the sales floor.
Back to top