Are you intrigued by data? Yelp has hundreds of millions of pieces of user-contributed content, millions of users, and millions of business listings – and all of these numbers are constantly growing. Making sense of this data, deducing relationships between variables and figuring out different interactions is challenging work, and these insights are hugely impactful to Yelp’s core business.
Yelp is trusted by our users, every day, to help make decisions about where to eat, which mover to call, or best places to visit in a new city. Our team’s mission is to surface high-quality content that reflects authentic experiences generated by real Yelpers who are engaged with the community. Join a team of experts on opinion and content spam and get the chance to contribute to the growth of one of the leading companies in this problem space.
As an Applied Scientist on Trust & Safety you will employ your analytical skills to detect and understand content spam at Yelp. You will set up robust statistical experiments to characterize user behaviour, assess our models through careful statistical analysis, and build end-to-end machine learned models that impact hundreds of millions of consumer contributions.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that encourages individual authenticity and creative solutions to problems. We enable all new team members to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers and scientists, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Identify and own challenging problems, form testable hypotheses, and drive significant business impact
- Lead the design and analysis of experiments or development of causal and predictive models to test your ideas
- Collaborate with product and engineering to affect changes in production systems and provide intelligence to other teams
- Communicate your conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences alike
- Keep the team and our projects current on new developments in ML and statistics by reading papers and attending conferences and local events
- Productionize and automate model pipelines within Python services
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Solid background in Math and Stats
- Experience with machine learning algorithms and statistical modeling
- Experience with Software Engineering (Python, Spark) and an emphasis on the Python Data Science stack (numpy, pandas, sklearn, matplotlib)
- A degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Statistics, Econometrics, Applied Math, Natural Sciences, etc or 3+ years of relevant experience
- The motivation to develop deep product and business knowledge and to connect abstract modeling and analysis tasks with business value
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.