To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Surgical Technician in the Operating Room participates with a team in the preparation, maintenance, breakdown of sterile and unsterile supplies for the surgical cases. He/she may act as a scrub assistant, and assistant to the surgeon as needed. Able to provide appropriate care for the patients served, regardless of age.
- 1. Accountable for the delivery of quality patient care in the Operating Room.
- 1.1 Assists with the transportation of patients to and from the O.R.
- 2. Assists with the preparation of equipment and supplies required for the surgical procedure.
- 2.1 Plans for and coordinates supplies and equipment for intra operative use.
- 3. Participates as a team member in the implementation of the patients' plan of care.
- 3.1 Demonstrates proficiency with procedures and equipment appropriateto the O.R. as demonstrated by the skills check list.
- 4. Demonstrates responsibility to the department and a commitment to personal career growth.
- 4.1 Attends 80% of required unit staff meetings; reads and initials all meeting minutes.
- 5. Contributes to the productivity and efficient operation of the department.
- 5.1 Uses time efficiently in regard to overtime and completes assignments with minimal errors and within the shift, as observed by the nurse manager and clinical leaders
High school; graduate from certified technician program preferred and related Operating Room experience with advanced education. National Certification as a Surgical Technologist Preferred
Must meet the criteria for Surgical Technician, minimum of 2 years current experience preferred in an operating room and consistently demonstrates competent practice in assigned service. Maintains his/her certification.
National Certification as a Surgical Technologist preferred, BLS
Ability to perform scrub assistant responsibilities at advanced level. This individual is highly motivated and self-directed and requires minimal supervision in accomplishing his/her duties and responsibilities. He/she actively contributes to the knowledge and growth of self and others and is able to assume more responsibilities outside of his/her area of expertise. Essentials duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Precepts new staff and collaborates with other members of the surgical team on meeting the education needs of this group, and monitors their progress.
May be exposed to infectious diseases, hazardous waste and radiation.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top