SURGICAL TECH. I
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Performs in a novice role and because of limited or lack of clinical experience, requires close supervision by a mentor or experienced personnel. He/she is an integral member of the surgical team who works closely with surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses, and other surgical personnel in delivering patient care and assumes supervised responsibilities before, during, and after surgery. Responsibilities include but are not limited to preparing the operating room and instruments, equipment, and supplies that will be needed; positioning and preparing the patient for surgery; and passing instruments, sponges, and sutures to the surgeon. Essential duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
"Come Grow With Us"
- 1. Demonstrates patient care concepts.
- 1.1 Verifies patient's identity with a registered nurse.
- 2. Demonstrates the application of the principles of asepsis and disinfection in a knowledgeable manner in the care of the supplies, instruments, and the environment.
- 2.1 Identifies the principles of sterile technique and applies these techniques when assisting each operative procedure.
- 3. Demonstrates surgical case presentation skills.
- 3.1 Applies knowledge of normal and pathological anatomy and physiology to individualize patient care.
- 4. Demonstrates the role of a scrub person.
- 4.1 Follows principles of correct hand scrub, gown, and gloves others, and ties and secures sterile gowns; completes scrub protocol before each case according to OR standards.
- 5. Demonstrates the role of the assisting circulator.
- 5.1 Prepares the operative site for surgery under the direction of a registered nurse and assists the other members of the surgical team as needed; reports status of procedure to relief team.
- 6. Demonstrates the accountability as a health care professional.
- 6.1 Recognizes that each practitioner is individually responsible for his/her actions.
- 7. Completes non-therapeutic functions under the direction of MD, PA, APRN or RN.
- 7.1 Remove medication(s) from the pneumatic tube system sent from the Pharmacy or Hospital Supply to the unit/patient care area.
- 8. Loads all instrument consistently in same direction and does not overload trays.
- 9. Spray all instrumentation with an enzymatic solution end of case.
- 10. Utilizes inventory and assignment information and interprets needs for single instruments, according to processing need.
Graduate of CAAHEP accredited surgical technology program or formal program as defined by the LCCST or who has completed the structured on the job training program at Bridgeport Hospital.
Competent and physical able to perform all duties in Surgical Tech.
Licensed Practical Nurse or completion of licensed Certified Surgical Technology Program. As of January 1, 2012
all newly hired Surgical Technologist will be certified or obtain certification within 1 year of employment. Surgical
Technician hired before January 1, 2012 will be grandfathered in. Must Achieve Certification in certified Sterile processing and Distribution Technician ( CBSPD) with in 1 year of hire.
Demonstrates knowledge of all aspects of the surgical department and works independently on minor or minimally complex cases., Utilizes the recommended guidelines as set forth in the Association of Surgical Technologist Standards of Practice in accomplishing job related responsibilities.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top