To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Supports the Accounting Coordinator, Senior Accountants and Accounting Manager in carrying out the monthly accounting close. Supports other routine and ad hoc functions for the Yale New Haven Health System. This individual should utilize his/her strong accounting, technical and communication skills, and leverage a positive attitude and team approach to contribute to the department's productivity, spirit and future. The position requires the desire and ability to grow and cross-train within the organization. The staff accountant must be proficient in a variety of technical areas, including balance sheet and income statement analyses and have the ability to cooperate and partner with other functional areas of the health system (i.e. budgeting and operations). The staff accountant will use a variety of analytical tools which will be developed "on the job".
- 1. Assist the accounting staff in preparing and uploading journal entries and updating electronic worksheet supporting detail. Release monthly recurring journal entries and maintain related supporting documentation. Support the monthly close of the general ledger utilizing the Lawson general ledger system.
- 2. Assist with the reconciliation of intercompany receivables and payables and the creation of monthly invoices between organizations.
- 3. Assist the accounting staff with P& L and Balance Sheet account analyses. Communicate with hospital administration and other departments to obtain the necessary information to electronically prepare and distribute financial information and account analysis support.
- 4. Assist with the reconciliation of bank statements to the general ledger. Reconcile the daily cost sheet register to the general fund and coordinate adjustments with the cashier department personnel. Resolve any unreconciled differences with the appropriate operating or banking personnel and record adjustments as necessary.
- 5. Work with hospital administration and other departments to respond to inquiries regarding financial reports.
- 6. Support fiscal year end audit and assist with special projects as needed.
Four-year bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance
1-2 years of experience preferred. Working knowledge of current US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles either through academic program or experience.
Intermediate to Advanced skills in Microsoft Suite, particularly Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook. MS Access and other software package knowledge is a plus.
Seasonal demands dictate working hours and need for additional time commitments.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top