RN; Registered Nurse
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Directs and supervises the nursing care and all related activities on the unit, assigned according to the policies and procedures of Grimes Center and the State and Federal agents
- 1. a. follows established standards of nursing practices and implements facility policies and procedures.
b. interprets existing policies and procedures to other licensed staff, nursing assistants, residents, families and physicians.
c. assumes responsibility for compliance with Federal, State and local regulations within the assigned unit.
- 2. a. obtains report from nurse he/she is relieving and implements appropriate follow-up action as necessary.
b. provides report to nurse coming on duty, including sufficient information for follow-up action if necessary.
- 3. a. conducts resident rounds, directs care for C.N.A.s and LPNs, and initiates corrective action and reporting issues/actions taken to nursing supervisor. Reports changes in resident? conditions to a physician, Supervisor, and responsible party promptly and takes follow-up action as necessary. Identifies resident problems and emergency situations, and initiates ?life saving? measures in the absence of a physician
- 4. a. Supervises and evaluates all direct resident care and initiates changes or corrective action as necessary. Prepares and assigns nursing assistants' assignments and duties. Is able to explain all pertinent resident care.
- 5. Provides clinical supervision of certified nursing assistants providing direct resident care and gives direction to licensed practical nurses. Assesses the patient data collected by the licensed practical nurse.
- 6. Knowledgeably and competently performs basic nursing skills including:
a.Administration medications (including IV, enteral) and treatments per the physician's order and facility policy.
follows facility policy and State Law in handling of all controlled drugs.
c. completes admission, transfer and discharge of residents according to facility policy. Coordinates the admission/discharge/transfer with physicians and other departments as necessary.
- 7. a. Performs and documents comprehensive assessment of each resident. Develops care plan based on these assessments. Participates in care conferences as requested
b. Documents: medications administered or refused effectiveness of PRN medications, treatments given, wound care given. Documents general nursing notes as required for to note patient condition/progress, change in status, unusual events and as required by regulatory agencies i.e. Medicare. Completes documentation related to the resident's admission, transfer or discharge. i.e. W10, discharge plan.
c. Ensures C.N.A.s have completed their patient documentation
- 8. Counsels nursing assistants, licensed practical nurses and recommends disciplinary action, when necessary, to the Shift Supervisor
Participates in the employee evaluation process by providing information on the clinical performance of certified nursing assistants to the Shift Supervisor.
- 9. Check emergency equipment and sign off on the emergency cart checklist sheet.
a. Ability to order and receive medication delivery from pharmacy and check all drugs received.
b. Completes 24 hour report sheet in a thorough manner.
c. Completes accident/incident reports as is necessary.
d. Diligently observes infection control practices according to policy.
e. Obtains continuing education relating to the resident population.
f. Ability to observe all facility safety policies and procedures.
g. Ability to follow Resident's Rights policies at all times.
- 10. Communication/Team Player/Attitude
a. Ability to consistently work cooperatively with residents, nursing staff, physicians, families, consultant personnel, community agencies and ancillary service providers.
b. Welcomes new staff on the unit and acts as a preceptor when assigned.
c. Welcomes the new resident and family in a positive and pleasant manner.
d. Ability to come to work in a clean, neat uniform and consistently present an appropriate
e. Ability to come to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrates dependability and punctuality.
f. Ability to accept assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
g. Performs other job related duties as directed by the Nursing Supervisor and /or Nursing Administration
Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or Science preferred.
At least one year of work experience in rehabilitative, psychiatric or geriatric nursing preferred..
A Registered Nurse licensed in the State of Connecticut
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrates the ability to maintain standards of care rendered at Grimes Center accordance with the State of Connecticut Public Health Code, the governing body of the facility and the State and Federal agencies.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top