Physicist; Per Diem
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Medical Physicist will have the overall responsibility for the technical aspects of the patient's radiation treatment. The Medical Physicist will supervise (or perform) the computerized planning of the patient's radiation beams and their placement. The person will oversee (or perform) the quality assurance program of the treatment machines, planning computers and patient's radiation treatment plans. The person also should perform as an integral member of the radiation oncology team by providing specialized medical physics support. The person will be required to work a flexible schedule according to patient volume. Excellent computer skills are necessary.
- 1. Assists in providing highest quality radiation treatments. Responsible for reviewing, evaluating, revising and updating patient radiation plans when necessary. Provide appropriate application of specialized skills necessary to insure proper application of patient's radiation treatments.
- 2. Interacts professionally at all times with patient and staff. Assures privacy and confidentiality throughout course of treatment.
- 3. Responsible for the safety of patients and staff. Observes Radiation Therapy safety precautions at all times. The person will act as a resource to staff regarding Radiation Safety. The person understands proper use of all medical physics equipment, never operating equipment inconsistent with manufacturer's standards. Actively participates in performance improvement activities related to patient and staff safety.
- 4. Contributes to the productivity and efficient operation of the department. Completes assignments within a reasonable time frame with minimal errors. The person exhibits punctuality and flexibility in schedule, and coordinates collaborative resources as needed.
- 5. Participates in performance improvement, quality control and assurance functions. At the request of supervisors, participates in quality assurance, performance improvement and CQI Team activities.
- 6. Identifies personal learning needs and opportunities for career growth. Responsible for own learning needs and seeks educational opportunities to meet those needs. Attends in service programs and outside workshops, seminars, training classes, and educational programs to keep current in technical developments in the field. Demonstrates this knowledge by contributing to improved service.
MS or PhD degree in physics/medical physics or related field from an approved institution is required. Board certification from American Board of Radiology (ABR) or American Board of Medical physics (ABMP) is required. Masters of Science Degree in Physics, or Masters of Science Degree in Medical Physics from an approved institution. Board Certification from the American Board of Radiology or American Board of Medical Physics is preferred.
A minimum five years working experience (post training) is required. Experience with Mosaiq, Eclipse, Truebeam/Novalis
The person may be exposed to infectious diseases or hazardous material, in an average clinical radiation therapy setting. The position requires good communication skills. The person must possess keen observation and listening skills, and must be able to work most of the day under stressful conditions. Must have the ability to hear and observe all the surroundings of the department and have manual dexterity.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top