Physician Assistant - Surgical
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Inpatient floor PA with no OR responsibility. Ability to provide appropriate care for patients of all ages (birth to adulthood). Provides appropriate care pre and post-op under the direction of the surgeon.
- 1. Accountable for the delivery of quality patient care
- 1.1 Consults with surgeon prior to surgery concerning individualized patient needs.
- 2. Participates as a team member in the implementation of the patient's plan of care.
- 2.1 Confirms patient's identity and proper consent for surgery.
- 3. Assists with the preparation of equipment and supplies required for the surgical procedure.
- 3.1 Plans for coordinates supplies and equipment for intra operative use.
- 4. Demonstrates responsibility to the department and a commitment to
- 4.1 Personal career growth.
- 5. Contributes to the productivity and efficient operation of the department.
- 5.1 Uses time efficiently in regard to overtime and completes assignments with minimal errors and within the shift.
- 6. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
- 6.1 The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's/area's/department's policies and procedures.
B.S.,P.A. (N.C.C.P.A.) National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant, Inc.
1-3 years experience (1 year surgical experience and or surgical fellowship training)
Licensed in CT, DEA CT and PA certification
Knowledge in tissue handling technique, knot-tying hemostasis techniques and appropriate use of instruments
Standing/walking at least half the day and occasionally working in awkward positions while holding retractors when assisting and supporting extremities. Helping lift heavy objects ten (10) to twenty (20) pounds and assisting with moving of patients ranging from one hundred (100) to three hundred (400) pounds. Moderate stress related to patient care.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top