To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The primary function of the Physician Assistant is to provide comprehensive medical care for the Orthopaedic patient under the direct supervision of the attending physician. Clinical responsibilities will include: evaluating patients, entering patient care orders, performing procedures, providing education, collaboration wtihin the multidisciplinary team, preparing patients for discharge and the communication and documentation of all patient care activities. The goal of the PA is to provide high quality, consistent patient care in a cost efficient, safe manner while adhering to best practice and achieving optimal outcomes and excellent patient satisfaction.
- 1. Admit patients. Perform and document complete H&P. Enter appropriate information and orders into EMR
- 2. Order and obtain necessary diagnostic tests including imaging studies and laboratory tests. Follow through on interpretation of results and communicate with team.
- 3. Request consultations from other services, obtain appropriate work up and follow through on recommendations
- 4. Participate in daily rounds and assist with implementing managerment plan in collaboration with multidisciplinary team and attending
- 5. Enter, review, and update orders in EMR to include: PT, OT, Speech, IV therapy, medications, restraints, patient care, discharge orders
- 6. Address patient concerns brought forth by nursing staff
- 7. Document patient encounters into EMR including, but not limited to: progress, event, procedure or transfer notes
- 8. Perform procedures asd credentialed.
- 9. Provide on call coverage as relevant to scheduled hours
- 10. assist with evaluation and management of clinic patients with attending supervision
- documentation, and corporate compliance
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art degree and graduation from an approved Physician Assistant program required. Certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
one to three years of patient care experience in inpatient setting preferred, inpatient orthopedic/surgical experience preferred.
current state license as Physician Assistant and certification maintenance by NCCPA
excellent clinical, interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work wtih a diverse group of providers across the health care continuum. Computer skills preferred.
MMR is required. Varivax (chicken pox vaccine) or evidence of prior chicken pox is required. Hepatitis B (or signed declination) is required for those with potential exposure to blood/body fluids. Tdap and influenza vaccination are strongly encouraged.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top