To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
2 Positions Available
Under the general supervision of the Outreach Phlebotomy Manager and the Coordinator of the Outpatient Phlebotomy services within Laboratory Medicine, performs phlebotomy for patients seen at draw station locations. Also performs various office duties as necessary to support the draw station operations. Consistently interacts with patients and clients in a positive manner.
- 1. Responsible for collecting blood samples and performing electrocardiograms on patients in a safe and efficient manner, following department standards to support quality patient care.
- 1.1 Daily stocks supplies in the blood drawing room to ensure that service to patients takes place efficiently without compromise to care.
- 2. Performs office duties as required for the efficiency of the blood draw station.
- 2.1 Daily files the Advanced Beneficiary notices for all Medicare patient draws according to department guidelines.
- 3. Adheres to regulatory standards as required for an outpatient phlebotomy location.
- 3.1 Consistently captures the ABN information on all Medicare patients.
- 4. Participates in daily upkeep of blood draw area.
- 4.1 Maintains cleanliness and neatness of blood draw room between each patient/client draw.
- 5. Assists in teaching students and new employees.
- 5.1 Assists in training new personnel using departmental training manual as reviewed by supervisory personnel.
- 6. Consistently enters lab test orders into the Lab Medicine LIS accurately and efficiently
- 6.1 Maintains a low ratio of errors to patients drawn.
- 7. Processes specimens obtained or received at the draw station in order to facilitate timely specimen testing at the central laboratory.
- 7.1 Follows established specimen handling guidelines and precautions.
- 8. Performs all functions relating to Laboratory Medicine patient intake information
- 8.1 Using hospital wide standards, creates MR numbers for new patients in the YNHH HIS and creates a complete registration.
Graduation form high school or equivalent. Phlebotomy certification strongly preferred
A minimum of two years of current certified phlebotomy experience with both adults and pediatric patients OR successful completion of a YNHH Laboratory Medicine Phlebotomy internship.
Phlebotomy Certification or equivalent.
Knowledge of Phlebotomy and medical terminology. Ability to effectively convey instructions to patients and students. Basic computer and keyboarding skills required. Ability to problem-solve and work independently.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top