PER DIEM RCP
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under medical direction, a Respiratory Care Practitioner works within and is accountable to comply with departmental guidelines and accepted respiratory care practices and assumes responsibility and accountability for recommending and coordinating respiratory care to patients. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
"Come Grow With Us"
- 1. Performs therapeutic respiratory modalities on all age populations according to physician's orders, established pharmacological standards, hospital and departmental policies and established practices as evidenced by direct supervision and feedback.
- 1.1 Demonstrates basic respiratory care skills appropriate to clinical area.
- 2. Performs invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation, on all age populations according to physician's orders, and established departmental policies as evidenced by direct supervision and feedback.
- 2.1 Demonstrates basic knowledge of theory and operation of respiratory critical care equipment and respiratory monitoring systems.
- 3. Performs emergent respiratory care modalities on all age populations, according to established hospital and departmental policies and practices as evidenced direct supervision and feedback.
- 3.1 Responds to emergency situations requiring respiratory care procedures or equipment in an expedient manner.
- 4. Assures proper functioning and availability of all departmental equipment as evidenced by direct supervision and feedback.
- 4.1 Participates in the verification and maintenance of properly tested equipment, removes defective equipment, as appropriate, for proper tagging and servicing.
- 5. Demonstrates ability to document, report and maintain patient and departmental records, including outcomes appropriately, accurately, and consistently, according to established hospital and departmental policies, practices and procedures as evidenced by chart review, direct supervision, and feedback.
- 5.1 Effectively utilizes institutional documentation systems to obtain, record and update patient data and charges accurately.
- 6. Demonstrates basic leadership skills and professional development as evidenced by direct supervision and feedback.
- 6.1 Identifies areas in performance needing improvement as evidenced by completion of self-assessment and assists shift lead in developing achievable goals for growth and establishes target dates for completion. Periodically reviews goals with shift lead and revises as necessary.
Graduate of an accredited approved Respiratory Therapy Program.
Minimum 1-year acute care experience as a respiratory care practitioner preferred.
RRT credential. For all new graduates: within 6 months of date of hire must obtain RRT.
Current BLS at the Health Care Provider Level.
PALS and ACLS preferred.
Current Respiratory Therapy license from the State of Connecticut.
Effective interpersonal and communication (both written and verbal) skills.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. They are occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. They must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles. They are occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top