OR RN Residency Program
Full time positions are available in the OR for either new graduate RNs or experienced RNs interested in OR nursing.
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Greenwich Hospital is embarking on an OR RN Residency Program for nurses to provide education and clinical skills to RNs who wish to launch a successful career in the perioperative arena. This is a 10 month program and will consist of didactic component, clinical immersion with competency validation, rotations to perioperative departments including sterile central processing, and clinical rotations to all surgical sub specialties with a preceptor. Nurses will be fully trained to function both as RN circulators and scrub nurses with confidence in the use of equipment, instruments and supplies to critical thinking and communication skills. The program will prepare them to face the many challenges of role transition and high performance expectations in the environment with high level of acuity and increased level of accountability that relates to nursing quality indicators.
The Main Operating Room serves patients of all ages and is available twenty-four hours per day, seven days a week. Located on the second floor, the unit has 9 operating room suites. Highly skilled, board-certified surgeons with the help of specialty certified Nurses and technicians, perform a wide variety of surgical procedures in the fields GYN, General Surgery, ENT (ear/nose/throat) , Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Urology , Vascular, Thoracic, Bariatric, Orthopedic, and Neurosurgery. Greenwich Hospital surgeons employ the most innovative techniques which vary from the open approach, to laparoscopic and minimally invasive procedures, with state of the art equipment. We also perform DaVinci robotic procedures for urology, gynecology, thoracic and general surgery.
We are committed to a patient centered philosophy with respect for the whole person, providing quality outcomes with team collaboration in a confidential, professional environment. The Multidisciplinary team collaborates to enable the patient to return to an optimal level of function, tending to the physical, psychosocial, cultural and spiritual needs.
The Registered Nurse practices within the Patient and Family Centered Care Model will assess, plan, implement and evaluate care for patients, coordinate ancillary staff and collaborate with interdisciplinary health care team.
- Delivers and coordinates safe, competent, and effective patient focused care demonstrating knowledge and clinical proficiency within their practicing specialty area.
- Performs individualized, age specific, population specific and culturally sensitive patient focused care through the use of the nursing process.
- Communicates patient's condition and the initial and revised plan of care with nurses and other members of the multidisciplinary team using SBAR techniques and bedside shift reporting assuring continuity of care.
- Develops plan of care upon admission and reviews/updates daily based on multidisciplinary findings and physician orders.
- Manages decision making situations by recognizing the acuity and complexity of patient condition and their environment.
- New graduate RN's or 1-3 years’ experience
- CT RN License
- 2 letters of recommendation (at time of interview)
- Personal statement of why you want to be a perioperative nurse (at time of interview)
- Commitment to work on call, holidays and weekends
- Successful completion of the entire perioperative program
- Understand principles of aseptic technique and it's clinical implications
- Describe all the components of the perioperative nurse role when functioning as a circulating nurse and a scrub person
- Discuss safety concerns in the perioperative setting
- Describe patient care needs during the intra-operative phase of surgical experience
- Explain the process of disinfection and sterilization
- Apply the knowledge and skills learned in clinical practice
- Demonstrate confidence when performing the role of a perioperative nurse
Back to top