OR Materials Supervisor
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The OR Materials Supervisor manages all supply staffing issues of direct reports while supervising the daily operations of supply staff. Provides supervision of inventory-level maintenance by ensuring that orders, issues, receipts, and returns are performed correctly by all OR supply staff. Assumes ultimate responsibility of storeroom environment of care issues. Thoroughly understands and supervises each functional component of supply staff tasks and makes thoughtful decisions to delegate additional tasks as appropriate. Assumes the responsibility of assigning supplies to supply coordinators, establishes par levels and monitors par-level compliance. Proactively identifies opportunities and develops and implements plans to achieve expense reduction initiatives and reports progress to the OR Materials Manager. Schedules and supervises all OR supply distribution activities and ensures customer satisfaction. Enforces the vendor policy and delegates the authority to do so to supply staff. Oversees the implementation of new technology, NPC, and CEC initiatives. Maintains a working knowledge of IT systems in use by the OR and provides support and guidance to direct reports regarding its proper use.
- Maintains supervisory control of direct reports by proactively managing work schedules, call-outs, personal time off coverage, performance evaluations, rounding, Kornos and Healthstream annual competencies.
- Supervises OR Materials staff in their daily procurement operations to include par-level compliance, order placement, order receipts, stock put-away, cycle counts, par counts and monitors new technology for all supply staff (assistants and coordinators) in ORs.
- Assumes responsibility for overseeing the proper use of the Enterprise inventory management system. Assigns responsibility within QSight to supply staff by directing, supporting and supervising their management of inventory to include maintaining accurate inventory records, details, and levels for all assigned supplies.
4. Supervises order management functions, forecasts supply needs and empowers the supply staff to eliminate avoidable stock-outs. Provides support for emergency acquisition situations and coordinates logistical details of obtaining necessary supplies on time.
- Supervises supply staff in their assigned distribution activities and pursues continuous improvements of the distribution of supplies in the OR to identify and implement expense reduction initiatives.
- Supervises the staff's timely resolution of Accounts Payable issues to avoid institutional credit holds and avoids disruptions caused by any supply outages
- Enforces the OR vendor policy and holds supply staff accountable for the same.
- Fully supports Northeast Purchasing Coalition and Health System initiatives by planning and implementing all standardization and expense reduction initiatives.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for training supply staff and ensuring their proper use of the OR's computer systems Qsight, Lawson, EPIC and others as implemented. Provides coverage of these systems and displays openness for adopting new systems.
BS/BA required, or AS/AA in combination with 5 years materials management experience in healthcare setting. MBA or MHA preferred.
Three to five years working in a materials management capacity. Minimum one year direct supervisory or management responsibility managing materials. Experience in the Operating Room, interventional radiology, catheterization lab or other hospital department Medical/Surgical Supply area is highly preferred. Must have demonstrated knowledge and experience with materials management functions of inventory, ordering/purchasing, receipt and stocking, accounts payable, review of usage report data and development of appropriate PAR levels. Must have experience with standard business software to include Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as specific materials management programs such as Lawson and EPIC. Knowledge of Federal regulatory requirements for management and storage of materials in a health care environment.
Must possess excellent leadership, planning and written and oral communication skills. Must have excellent time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and follow through on completion of operational and project related assignments. Must be familiar with AHRMM standards related to Materials Management. Must be able to operate and instruct others in computer/software operation for data entry, extraction, report generation and information management. Must clearly define, organize, prioritize, and communicate performance expectations and accounatbilities as realted to daily operations and to specific performance improvement initiatives. Must be able to monitor, assess and drive desired performance to established goals, and/or to develop action plans with supply staff to correct deficiencies. Must ensure continual state of readiness for regulatory inspection to include specific materials standards and general environment of care standards, Must implement, monitor and manage systems to ensure product availability prior to scheduled surgery
THE OR Materials SUPERVISOR HAS VAST RESPONSIBILITIES CRITICAL TO THE ONGOING SUCCESSFUL PROVISION OF MATERIAL SERVICES TO SUPPORT 50 ORs IN 4 PAVILIONS. THE SUPERVISOR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR 9 DIRECT REPORTS AND OVERSIGHT OF DAILY OPERATIONS INCLUDING; SURGEON SPECIAL SUPPLY REQUESTS, JIT AND VENDOR DIRECT ORDERING, RECEIVING, AND STOCKING, CASE-PICKING, FORECASTING, REGULATORY READINESS, ENVIRONMENT OF CARE STANDARDS ETC.
Back to top