OFF SHIFT OR MATERIALS SUPV
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The OR Materials Supervisor manages all supply staffing issues of direct reports while supervising the evening operations of supply staff. Provides supervision of inventory -level maintenance by ensuring that orders, issues, receipts, and returns are performed correctly by all OR supply staff. Assumes ultimate responsibility of storeroom environment of care issues. Thoroughly understands and supervises each functional component of supply staff tasks and makes thoughtful decisions to delegate additional tasks as appropriate. Manages establishes par levels and monitors par -level compliance. Proactively identifies opportunities and develops and implements plans to achieve expense reduction initiatives and reports progress to the OR Materials Manager. Schedules and supervises all OR supply distribution activities and ensures customer satisfaction. Manages and oversees case picking activities to ensure complete and accurate supply picks as well as pre-picked SurgiTrack totes. Manages and oversees OR suite restocking of soft supplies and fluids as well as other official stocking locations.
- 1. Maintains supervisory control of direct reports by proactively managing work schedules, call-outs, personal time off coverage, performance evaluations, rounding, Kronos and Healthstream annual competencies.
- 2. Supervises ORMM staff in their daily procurement operations to include par-level compliance, order placement, order receipts, stock put-away, cycle counts, and par counts. Ensures adequate levels of supplies are maintained.
- 3. Builds and maintains strong working relationships with materials management customers through regular and ongoing meetings, rounding, development and reporting of performance measures/ KPI's, completion of RCA's as appropriate and follow through on any reported negative customer experience.
- 4. Supervises order management functions, forecasts supply needs and empowers the supply staff to eliminate avoidable stock-outs. Provides support for emergency acquisition situations and coordinates logistical details of obtaining necessary supplies on time.
- 5. Supervises supply staff in their assigned distribution activities and pursues continuous improvements of the distribution of supplies in the OR to identify and implement expense reduction initiatives.
- 6. Responsible for direct report competency requirements and evaluation, training, and performance coaching, counseling and disciplinary action as appropriate. Responsible for maintaining department standard work, policy manuals, in accordance with continually evolving regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- 7. Supervises the timely and accurate picking of supplies for case carts including the use of the OR schedule and SurgiTrack totes.
- 8. Collaborates with Doctor Preference Card coordinators in the revision and development of accurate supply pick lists.
- 9. Supervises the staff in the replenishment process of supplies and fluids for 38 OR suites which includes; Par management and usage reporting via handheld data utilizing bar codes for replenishment, coordination with nursing management to ensure appropriate range and quantity of products are stocked, product expiration sweeps, and QA monitoring and reporting.
- 10. Supervises the staff in the replenishment process of official stocking locations including mobile carts.
- 11. Demonstrates critical thinking and analytical abilities to analyze department operations, flow chart processes, identify problem areas and ultimately develop solutions and changes that positively impact efficient production balancing and workflow.
- 12. Evaluates departmental workflow and reacts accordingly by adjusting daily assignments to meet departmental demands, including breaks and lunch periods.
- 13. Initiates changes in policies and procedures that will enhance quality, reduce costs and improve service to ORMM customers.
- 14. Enforces the OR vendor policy and holds supply staff accountable for the same.
- 15. Assumes ultimate responsibility for training supply staff and ensuring their proper use of the OR's computer systems QSight, Lawson, Terso, MS Office Suite, and others as implemented. Provides coverage of these systems and displays openness for adopting new systems.
- 16. Monitors Risk and Safety Management Alert System (RASMAS) alerts and responsible for ensuring recall and alert compliance, mitigation, and follow through with Perioperative Services and Supply Chain Management.
BS/BA preferred, or experience in materials management within healthcare setting .
Combination of three to five years experience in a Materials Management or Healthcare capacity. Minimum two years direct supervisory experience. Experience in Perioperative services, Interventional Radiology, Catheterization Lab or other hospital department Medical/Surgical supply point of service area is highly preferred. Must have demonstrated knowledge and experience with materials management functions of inventory, ordering/purchasing, receipt and stocking, accounts payable, review of usage report data and development of appropriate PAR levels. Must have experience with standard business software to include Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as specific materials management programs such as Lawson, EPIC, and other bar code and/or RFID based tracking systems. Knowledge of Federal regulatory requirements for management and storage of materials in a health care environment.
Certified Materials & Resource Professional Certification (AHRMM), Certified Supply Chain Professional (APICS), Six Sigma Green Belt, Six Sigma Black Belt, or LEAN preferred.
Must possess excellent leadership, planning and written and oral communication skills. Must have excellent time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and follow through on completion of operational and project related assignments. Must be familiar with AHRMM standards related to Materials Management. Must be able to operate and instruct others in computer/software operation for data entry, extraction, report generation and information management. Must clearly define, organize, prioritize, and communicate performance expectations and accountabilities as related to daily operations and to specific performance improvement initiatives. Must be able to monitor, assess and drive desired performance to established goals, and/or to develop action plans with supply staff to correct deficiencies. Must ensure continual state of readiness for regulatory inspection to include specific materials standards and general environment of care standards, Must implement, monitor and manage systems to ensure product availability prior to scheduled surgery. Monitors compliance with regulatory standards that governed healthcare including but not limited to JCAHO, OSHA, FDA, Department of Health, etc.
Back to top