NURSING DIR EMERG SVCS
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Shares responsibility with the Physician Director of Emergency Services for the administration of patient care and management of the patient care team in the Emergency Department. Shares responsibility and accountability to achieve Hospital and Department of Emergency Services' goals. Is organizationally accountable to the Vice President of AED. Supports the philosophy, mission, objectives and policies of the Hospital, Department of Emergency Services, Nursing Division and Medical Staff of Yale-New Haven Hospital and embodies a philosophy of team management. In collaboration with the Physician Director of Emergency Services, is responsible for effectively managing human, financial, material and information resources in a culturally diverse, dynamic environment. Participates in day-to-day administrative and clinical management of the Department of Emergency Services
- CLINICAL LEADERSHIP Primary Responsibiities: Assumes responsibility for all nursing activities related directly or indirectly to patient care in the Emergency Department. Analyzes patient care needs and is accountable for staffing patterns to provide safe and appropriate patient care, commensurate with the philosophy and objectives of professional nursing practice. Ensures all patient care responsibilities will be performed consistent with age-specific criteria (see attached). Ensures that policies and procedures, based on patient care standards and primary nursing, describe and guide nursing care in the Emergency Department. Shared Responsibilities: Coordination and delivery of all patient care activities. Evaluates the quality of patient care and utilization of the quality improvement process to assess the response to care from patients, families and others. Initiates and/or participates in interdisciplinary forums to address and resolve patient care issues. Develops, implements and reviews Department of Emergency Services' policies and procedures.
- OPERATIONAL/ADMINISTRATIVE/PLANNING Shared Responsibilities: Participates in the development, implementation and communication of institutional goals, objectives and strategic plans; supports and implements the Hospital Business Plan at the departmental level. Facilitates the development, implementation and communication of Department of Emergency Services' goals, objectives and strategic plans. Collaborates with senior administration, other managers, department heads and members of other disciplines, to ensure efficient and safe operations to achieve quality patient care. Ensures efficiency of overall operations of Emergency Services and fosters an empowered environment, helping to remove barriers to practice. Acts as a liaison with other Hospital Departments and the university; participates on selected committees and tasks forces. Develops clinical service plans. Develops and communicates strategies to respond to changes in the external environment. Plans reflect a knowledge of the economic environment, resource allocation, information sources and health care trends.
- RESOURCE MANAGEMENT Primary Responsibilities: Develops and nurtures an effective clinical and management organizational structure, which assures smooth succession planning. Supports advancement of Emergency Department nursing staff to the Recognition and Clinical Advancement Program. Oversees the development of the master staffing plan and personnel needs for the Emergency Department and provides accompanying data and rationale. Uses appropriate available technology to evaluate patient acuity in order to determine staffing patterns and personnel requirements.
- RESOURCE MANAGEMENT Shared Responsibilities: Interviews, selects, orients, develops, and evaluates Clinical Coordinators, Nursing Education Specialists, associate director and administrative support personnel with input from the Physician Director. Is accountable for coordination, development, monitoring and control of personnel, capital and non-salary budget. Monitors financial results on a monthly basis and provides relevant variance information to the Senior VP; information is shared with relevant ED staff. Develops, implements and evaluates programs and policies relevant to human, financial and material resources. Participates in projects, surveys and other information gathering activities. Fosters an environment that supports the development of staff. Utilizes appropriate resources within the organization to provide consultation, education, technical or informational services as needed to self, staff and/or patients. Utilizes knowledge of federal, state, hospital and accreditation agencies' standards, policies and procedures to direct patient care.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/EDUCATION/RESEARCH Facilitates an environment conducive to and supportive of research and student learning. Keeps abreast of current clinical trends in nursing practice, emergency nursing, professional practice within the Emergency Department and theories of management. Attends and participates in appropriate seminars, presentations and educational opportunities to maintain clinical leadership, practice and managerial proficiency. Administers policy and procedures in a fair and consistent manner. Demonstrates risk taking through openness to change and willingness to try new systems and approaches. Displays respect, courtesy and consistency in interpersonal behaviors. Displays leadership behavior that builds positive identification with the organization. Demonstrates positive conflict resolution skills. Supports the value of direct care givers by empowering them to meet or exceed the expectations of patients and colleagues, encouraging risk taking, and removing barriers to practice.
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Masters Degree required; Masters of Science degree in Nursing preferred.
Demonstrated successful leadership/management experience in a complex health care setting required, preferably an Emergency Department.
Prior clinical nursing experience in an Emergency Department setting preferred.
Previous experience in an adademic, high volume Emergency Department as well as multi-site experience highly preferred.
Licensed and a currently registered nurse in State of Connecticut.
The position requires knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice; demonstrated abilities as a leader; competence in budget and resource management, effective interpersonal and communication skills, knowledge of principles of adult learning, conflict management, group and organizational behaviors, ethical decision making and effecting change.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top