NURSE PRACTITIONER or PA - EMERGENCY MEDICINE - Multi-Site
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
As a clinician and in collaboration with physicians, takes medical histories, performs physical examinations, and performs specified procedures. Refers patients for consultation. Works in the Emergency Department, the Emergency Department satellite at Guilford, or in the Emergency Department Urgent Care.
- 1. Provides care to general Emergency Department patients including those with acute and ambulatory problems.
- 2. Discusses each case with the triage classification as "acute" with the Emergency Department staff physicians who sign(s) the medical record. Consults with community medical staff physicians as appropriate and discusses each patients evaluation and plan. May provide care to ambulatory and urgent care patients without direct physician supervision.
- 3. Provides a complete medical record on all patients provided care.
- 4. Practices within the policies and procedures of the Emergency Department.
- 5. Performs procedures including (but not limited to) lumbar puncture, suturing and repair of wounds, minor burn care; arterial blood gas sampling; incision and drainage of abscess; thoracentesis; advanced cardiac life support procedures; paracentesis; urinary bladder catheterization; gastric lavage.
- 6. Refers patients for consultation.
- 7. Recommends patients for admission to staff physician.
- 8. Orders medications including narcotics.
- 9. Writes prescriptions.
- 10. Orders laboratory testing, diagnostic imaging and other diagnostic tests appropriate to Emergency Department care.
- 11. May be assigned to the Emergency Department, the Emergency Department Urgent Care, and/or the Guilford satellite of the Emergency Department. Shifts assigned may be day, evening, nights and/or weekends.
- 12. Attends Department Staff meetings and participates in departmental groups and committees. May be requested to chair groups and committees. May also be required to participate on hospital groups and committees as representative of the Department of Emergency Services.
- 13. Provides clinical instruction to Physician Associate students and residents; and Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic Students.
Bachelor's Degree and graduation from an approved Physician's Associate program required.
Three (3) to five (5) years of patient care experience as a Physician Associate is preferred.
PA or APRN Required
Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.. Maintains current and active credential by the National Committee for Certification of Physicians Assistants. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide quality care appropriate to the Emergency Department.
All Physician Associates are required to participate in the on call system as defined by the department.
This position requires rotating coverage between 3 Emergency Department sites.
Back to top