MEDICATION HISTORY TECH
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The job entails assisting with the medication reconciliation process by interviewing patients and contacting pharmacies and physician offices to obtain an accurate medication history. In addition, being a resource for the pharmacist and assisting nursing and physicians with medication related requests. The position also ensures safety and regulatory compliance for the medication storage locations on the patient care units.
- 1. Obtains and clarifies patients' home/chronic medication list by contacting community pharmacies and extended care facilities, interviewing patient and family members to ensure proper identification of doses and drugs including prescription medications, over the counter drugs and complimentary & alternative medications in an efficient and timely manner.
- 2. Communicates discrepancies identified via the medication history process with the pharmacist and makes clarifications with the patient and prescribers as needed.
- 3. Serves as a resource to the pharmacist assigned to the floors covered regarding patient own medications, missing doses, nurse requests and other follow up as deemed appropriate by the pharmacist.
- 4. Appropriately directs, triages or communicates to the appropriate caregivers or staff all questions or inquiries from patient or families that are outside the scope of taking the medication history.
- 5. Reponds to nurses, physicians or other requestors and appropriately manages, triages, or ensures follow-up in a timely manner regarding medication history information and other related medication requests (ie. missing medications, printing of leaflets, etc). In addition, completes nurse rounding to proactively identifiy concerns.
- 6. Conducts consistent environment of care rounds on assigned floors to ensure safety and regulatory compliance. Also, identify opportunites for improvement related to safety, regulatory or financial outcomes.
- 7. Meets all YNHH Service Excellence Standards (including AIDET, 10-5 and no venting) and ensures that high quality customer service is provided and displayed at each patient and team interaction.
- 8. Meets all YNHH attendance and punctuality standards.
High School diploma required. Successful completion of academic or military pharmacy technician training course and certification by the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) required. College degree desirable.
Three years experience as a hospital pharmacy technician required. Experience as a retail pharmacy technician and academic training or experience in other health related fields, laboratory sciences or pharmaceutical sciences also considered.
Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Pharmacy Technician in the State of Connecticut as outlined by the Deptartment of Consumer Protection. Proficiency in mathematical calculations; accuracy; problem solving; attention to detail ; knowledge of computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets; ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment; ability to perform pharmaceutical compounding including manipulation of raw drug products, chemotherapy agents, and solutions using appropriate and aseptic technique where appropriate; ability to work with computer and technology equipment including the ability to perform basic troubleshooting functions. Strong knowledge base with automated compounding machines. Must be able to prioritize competing demands, work independently, show flexibility and teamwork. Demonstrate good communication skills to customers and team members.
Multiple positions with day/evening rotating schedules are availble for full-time.
Back to top