MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST A - IMMUNOLOGY LAB
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Performs a wide variety of Immunological tests in all sections of the laboratory; able to troubleshoot problems, identifies the causes, formulates and applies solutions; confirms and verifies test results through an in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation; correlates and interprets data based on knowledge of technical and instrumental conditions affecting test results; assists in the training of students, staff and laboratory personnel. Has a thorough knowledge of the laboratory's QC system. Participates in technical competency review process.
- 1. Familiar with the specimen processing system to ensure the timely and accurate processing of patient samples critical to patient care.
- 1.1 Assesses the specimen according to established procedural criteria, and requests new specimen(s) when unacceptable. Outstanding: Standard can not be exceeded.
- 2. Demonstrates technical competency in performing a variety of Immunological tests to ensure that accurate Immunological data can be provided for good patient care.
- 2.1 Understands basic principles of Immunology, Flow Cytometry, or Molecular Diagnostics laboratory procedure, theory, and techniques; understands instrumentation and equipment, and shows good judgment in using them. Outstanding: Consistently demonstrates initiative and motivation in seeking out additional information on all learned procedures.
- 3. Provides for the accurate reporting of lab results to ensure continuity of patient care by demonstrating computer, communication, and documentation skills.
- 3.1 Records results clearly, legibly and accurately, as soon as test is completed and documents and initials all patient results on corresponding worklist. Outstanding: Documentation is consistently legible.
- 4. Fosters mature respectful relationships with fellow employees, patients, and staff to ensure a professional environment and approach to all work areas.
- 4.1 Accurately records in Kronos time book all necessary work related activities. Overtime log is always completed and intialed according to Departmental policy. Outstanding: Standard can not be exceeded.
- 5. Demonstrates independence by one's ability to recognize and troubleshoot problems related to procedures and/or instrumentation, and to allow for personal career growth.
- 5.1 Recognizes problems related to inappropriate outcome of procedures, notifies a supervisor of the existence of such a problem. Outstanding: Is able to identify the cause of the problem and works with supervisors to implement a solution.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology or equivalent
One (1) to two (2) years' experience in an accredited Clinical Laboratory.
MT (ASCP) certification or equivalent or eligible.
Must be able to operate, standardize and perform routine maintenance of and troubleshoot equipment. Knowledge of instrumentation and materials.
No special working demands.
Immunology experience preferred
Back to top