MANAGER OF HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR THE YALE NEW HAVEN HEALTH SYSTEM.
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Coordinates, and provides direction to the Health and Safety Specialists. Works collaboratively with team members from Occupational Health, Compensation and Benefits, Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control (HEIC), Legal Affairs /Risk Management, Institute for Excellence (IFE), YNHH-YSC Employee Health & Safety Committee, Human Resource Information System (HRIS), Human Resources (HR), Plant Engineering, Facilities Design & Construction (FD & C), Accreditation Safety and Regulatory Affairs (ASRA) , and others as needed for consultation on employee Health and Safety matters; including OSHA regulatory requirement. Ensures that health and safety training and content applying to healthcare workers related to health and safety are created and conducted in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- 1. Conducts comprehensive and ongoing reviews of federal and/or state standards that are applicable to the health care/hospital working environment and designs comprehensive compliance plans, assigning responsibilities for safety protocol development, where necessary, to the appropriate department, group and/or individual.
- 1.1 Sets direction for the YNHHS Employee Health and Safety Committee with the manager of Worker's Compensation services. Provides weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual employee injury/illness reports as required by Worker's compensation Commission, State of CT and as requested and/or required by the TJC, and other regulatory agencies and departments
- 2. Conducts ongoing review of all YNHHS job descriptions to determine health and safety training requirements and computer-based training category for each based on position, department, job duties and level of risk. Performs entry of health and safety training requirements into Healthstream.
- 2.1 Collaborates with IFE, Center for Professional Practice Excellence (CPPE) and HEIC on content of new employee orientation and appropriate facilities safety personnel, annual mandatory occupational safety and health and infection control training updates.
- 3. Conducts comprehensive and ongoing reviews of federal and/or state standards that are applicable to the health care/hospital working environment and designs comprehensive compliance plans, assigning responsibilities for safety protocol development, where necessary, to the appropriate department, group and/or individual.
- 3.1 Supports the activities of and sets direction for the YNHHS Employee Health and Safety Committee through collaborative quality improvement team participation and assistance in research, data collection, analysis and reporting.
- 4. Surveys compliance in practice including, but not limited to, bloodborne pathogens, airborne pathogens , respirator use, health and safety training, use of appropriate personal protective equipment, and exposure monitoring. Submits report of findings to Director of Occupational Health Services and Medical Director of Pop Health/Occupational Health (and/or others) as requested.
- 4.1 As requested, assists with regularly scheduled hazard surveillance inspections throughout all clinical, public/common, mechanical, support, and office/business spaces as evidenced by written inspection reports using federal/OSHA regulations, TJC standards, state, local fire and building codes, CDC and Infection Control guidelines, and recommended safe work practices including but not limited to ergonmics.
- 5. Responsible for managing stakeholder expectations at each delivery network.
- 6. Collaborates with all delivery network leaders to achieve local business objectives.
- 7. Oversees the maintenance of the YNHHS employee injury dashboard.
Bachelor's degree in a related field required; Master of Science degree in occupational safety and health management or industrial hygiene preferred
Five (5) years in occupational health and/or health and safety required. Performance management training preferred. Recommended but not required is certification by the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Inc., Board of Certified Healthcare Safety Management, and/or American Association of Industrial Hygienists, First Aid and BLS certification preferred. Demonstrated participation in OSHA and TJC compliance training. Demonstrated experience in implementing hospital -wide training and/or compliance programs. Experience with OSHA compliance preferred.
Licensed and currently registered in the State of Connecticut.
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, organizational, and customer service skills. Must be self-motivating and have the ability to exercise independent judgement in the development of plans and protocols to be submitted for approval and day-to-day work routine. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have demonstrated knowledge of OSHA regulations and TJC standards. Must be familiar with the following applications : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and appropriate HTML database and report writer software; and SYSTOC and Epic programs. Must be able to plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate multiple facets of occupational health and safety. Must have a willingness to learn and apply knowledge. Must be able to conduct training sessions to la rge groups of employees.
Valid Connecticut driver's license as off-site evaluations are required. Position duties and responsibilities may require prolonged standing and walking; use of sight, hearing and touch; and the moving /lifting (or assisting with) employees and supplies/equipment of varying weights in the course of clinical duties or work evaluations. Must be able to lift and push/pull minimum of 30 lbs.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top