MANAGER LABORATORY _Virology Lab York St Campus
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Has the responsibility and accountability for all administrative, technical and personnel matters required for the efficient and high quality operation and management of the laboratory section. Is administratively accountable for both capital and operating budget development. Has the responsibility for development, interpretation and application of section policies and procedures, budgets and long-range planning in conjunction with the Laboratory Director.
- 1. Manages and directs the daily operations of the Clinical Virology Laboratory, including approving work schedules, maintaining proper staffing, and supervising the daily work activities of medical technologists and clerical staff.
- 2. Responsible for maintaining the operating budget within the expense base. Provides monthly status report of operating budget to Laboratory Director and Operations Director on all variances.
- 3. Ensures appropriateness of test requests in coordination with Director and medical staff. Reviews and evaluates report validation, abnormal and unexpected test results with medical staff.
- 4. Responsible for quality control and quality assistance for the laboratory in dealing with clinical issues and referencing as appropriate to the Laboratory Director when necessary. Ensures continuity, timeliness and quality of services.
- 5. Ensures adequate laboratory supplies and sound inventory control within budget parameters. Participates in departmental Produce Review Group (PRG) to achieve product standardization where applicable.
- 6. Provides on-call coverage for Virology Lab, as needed.
- 7. Responsible for the training for clinical pathology residents, medical students, housestaff, infectious disease fellows and medical technologists. Provides orientation to new employees and ongoing in-service instruction to assigned personnel.
- 8. Maintains effective liaison with other areas of the Hospital concerned with various laboratory procedures. Addresses conflict between lab policies and physician demands for testing, and either resolves them or brings them to the attention of the Medical Director.
- 9. Ensures that all laboratory equipment is properly maintained to include service contractual arrangements and facilitates repair when necessary.
- 10. In conjunction with lab computer operations, develops computer programs for lab reporting. Reviews and updates annually.
- 11. Evaluates all laboratory functions, policies, procedures and equipment and makes effective recommendations regarding improvements or revisions.
- 12. Participates in the selection and motivation of all laboratory personnel. Responsible for the administration of compensation, promotions, transfers, terminations and disciplinary action. Conducts employee performance reviews on review date. Responsible for review and update of job descriptions as needed.
- 13. Responsible for statistical information necessary for all surveys, preparation of reports, documents, payroll records and other data as required.
- 14. Assists Laboratory Director in development of capital and operating budget plans.
- 15. Responsible for annual updates to costing of all laboratory tests. Recommends and takes action with Laboratory Director regarding changes in test methodology to reduce costs.
- 16. Adheres to al Hazcom, Universal Precautions, fire and safety policies and procedures. Responsible for annual staff retaining for all safety policies. Assists in preparation of developing QA standards and indicators required for departmental QA Committee as well as requirements of regulatory agencies (CAP, CLI & JCAHO).
- 17. Responsible for monitoring technical competency of technical personnel to include annual competency evaluation as per CAP regulations.
- 18. Maintains annual continuing education to improve management effectiveness and technical expertise.
- 19. Participates in, at minimum, one departmental project, which supports the Hospital's community service mission.
- 20. Maintains membership in necessary professional societies.
- 21. Responsible for maximizing employee satisfaction through counseling, facilitating, holding meetings and resolving Employee Opinion Survey issues.
- 22. Performs other administrative duties within the laboratory section as necessary.
- 23. Responsible for participating in the development and evaluation of new methodologies for use in the laboratory.
Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology with ASCP certification, Masters Degree in Health Sciences preferred.
Five (5) to seven (7) years experience working as a Medical Technologist, including one to three years of supervisory and/or management experience.
Excellent managerial, technical, fiscal, interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills.
EXCELLENT MANAGERIAL, TECHNICAL, FISCAL, INTERPERSONAL, PROBLEM SOLVING AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS REQUIRED. PROFICIENT IN COMPUTER SOFTWARE PROGRAMS, MICROSOFT OFFICE AND EXCEL. THE POSITION REQUIRES THE EXERCISE OF DISCRETION AND INDEPENDENT JUDGMENT IN PERFORMING MANAGERIAL DUTIES, MEETING THE CHANGING DEMANDS FOR SERVICE, AND EFFECTIVELY RECOMMENDING MANAGERIAL, OPERATIONAL AND TECHNICAL ACTIONS.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top