To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
directs and supervises the nursing care and all related activities on the unit, assigned according to the policies and procedures of Grimes Center and the State and Federal agents
- 1. a.follows established standards of nursing practices and implements facility policies and procedures.
b.interprets existing policies and procedures to nursing assistants, residents, families and physicians.
c. assumes responsibility for compliance with Federal, State and local regulations within the assigned unit.
- 2. a.obtains report form nurse he/she is relieving and implements appropriate follow-up action as necessary.
b.provides report to nurse coming on duty, including sufficient information for follow-up action if necessary.
- 3. conducts resident rounds, directs care for C.N.A.s and reports problems to nursing supervisor and initiates corrective action. Reports changes in resident condition to Nursing Supervisor, physician and responsible party. Takes action as necessary and directed by nursing supervisor. May initiate ?life saving? measures in an emergency situation. Is responsible for the safety of residents under his/her supervision.
- 4. prepares and assigns nursing assistant's assignments and duties. Supervises all direct resident care, initiates corrective action as necessary and explains all pertinent resident care.
- 5. Knowledgeably and competently performs basic nursing skills including:
administers and documents medications and treatments per the physician's order and facility policy.
Follows facility policy and State Law when handling controlled drugs
Admits, discharges and transfers residents according to facility policy
Coordinates the admission/transfer/discharge of residents with physicians and other departments as needed.
- 6. Performs data collection as directed by the registered nurse or shift supervisor. Works with the registered nurse to develop an accurate comprehensive care plan. Participates in resident care conferences as assigned
- 7. Documents: medications administered or refused, effectiveness of PRN medications, treatments administered, wound care given. Documents general nursing notes as required to note resident's condition, change in condition, unusual events and as regulatory agencies, i.e. Medicare. Completeness documentation related to resident's admission, transfer or discharge. Ensures C.N.A's have completed documentation of resident care.
- 8. a.counsels nursing assistants and recommends disciplinary action, when necessary, to the Shift Supervisor
b. participates in the employee evaluation process by providing information on the clinical performance of certified nursing assistants to the Shift Supervisor.
- 9. Other clinical duties
Checks emergency equipment and signs off on emergency cart checklist
identifies safety hazards and initiates corrective action immediately.
Under the direction of the registered nurse, has the ability to notify physician, when necessary, of changes in residents' conditions, weight, medication errors, medication not available, abnormal laboratory/X-ray results, and any other unusual observations.
Completes shift report sheet in a thorough manner.
Diligently practices infection control according to facility policy
Welcomes new staff on the unit and acts as a preceptor when assigned.
Obtains continuing education relating to the resident population.
Ability to observe all facility safety policies and procedures.
Ability to follow Resident's Rights policies at all times.
- 10. Communication/Team Player/Attitude
Ability to consistently work cooperatively with residents, nursing staff, physicians, families, consultant personnel, community agencies and ancillary service providers.
Welcomes the new resident and family in a positive and pleasant manner.
Comes to work in a clean, neat uniform and consistently present an appropreait4e professional appearance.
Comes to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrates dependability and punctuality.
Accepts assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
Performs other job related duties as directed by the Nursing Supervisor and /or Nursing Administration
Graduated from an approved Practical Nurses Education Program
At least one year of work experience in rehabilitative, psychiatric or geriatric nursing preferred.
A Licensed Practical Nurse licensed in the State of Connecticut
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrates the ability to maintain standards of care rendered at Grimes Center accordance with the State of Connecticut Public Health Code, the governing body of the facility and the State and Federal agencies.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top