LABORATORY ASSOCIATE - IMMUNOLOGY LAB
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Laboratory Associates work in the clinical laboratories as part of a team with Medical Technologists and report to laboratory supervisors, assistant chief technologists and lab managers. Responsible for handling and processing blood specimens and body fluids to include: centrifugation, decapping, loading of instrument cassettes and routing specimens to the appropriate area. Responsible to accurately log specimens into the laboratory information system. Provides a variety of office functions to include: filing, faxing and mailing patient reports. Works effectively with the customer to answer specimen or other laboratory related questions in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care. Responsible for data entry and retrieval.
- 1. Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Transmits results for all laboratory testing to the appropriate healthcare team members on request to ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality. .
- 1.1 Demonstrates good customer service by answering the phone within three (3) rings with the established Laboratory Medicine telephone protocol.
Outstanding: Continuously receives positive feedback from customers with no documented cases of complaints.
- 2. Specimen Handling: Receives, sorts, redirects, accessions, prepares sample for testing, and processes specimens in order to ensure timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen-related problems.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Triages to the appropriate area in a timely manner.
Outstanding: No more than 2 sample processing errors. No sample processing errors related to patient misidentification.
- 3. Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes. Communicates and/or assists computer operations to resolve problems as documented by computer operations, managers and supervisors.
- 3.1 Uses all computer based systems LIS and related HIS systems. Recognizes malfunctions and communicates problems to computer operations.
Outstanding: Ability to resolve problems independently.
- 4. Laboratory Support Functions: Performs a variety of ancillary functions in support of laboratory operations.
- 4.1 Prepares the physician copies of reports for mailing, verifies the accuracy of the name and address.
Outstanding: Corrects all inaccurate physician labels.
High school graduate. Associate degree preferred.
Two (2) to three (3) experience in a clinical laboratory or phlebotomy preferred.
Understanding & knowledge of computer data entry and basic medical terminology.
Back to top