To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Smilow Cancer Hospital Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program, a multidisciplinary service affiliated with the NCI designated Yale Cancer Center, is seeking qualified Genetic Counselors interested in working in a state of the art program that includes physician leaders specializing in different cancer pathologies that have a hereditary component. The mission of the program is to provide outstanding integrated patient care while keeping the academic commitment to teaching and performing research in different aspects of cancer genetics
- 1. Obtain and assess patient and family medical and psychosocial histories.
- 2. Provide patient education, psychosocial counseling, coordinate testing, facilitate decision-making, and make referrals as necessary.
- 3. Discuss results of diagnostic tests with program team to determine direction of counseling plans.
- 4. Participate in weekly multidisciplinary case conference.
- 5. Collaborate with the Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program Physician Leaders and Co-Directors to coordinate services.
- 6. Develop written reports on personal and family medical histories and test results.
- 7. May serve as a Lead Genetic Counselor to an assigned clinic for high risk patients.
- 8. Participate in institution-wide educational activities, such as tumor board, genetics rounds, Schwartz rounds, etc.
- 9. Opportunities for involvement in research, teaching, and community outreach.
- 10. Travel to outreach clinics may be required.
- 11. May perform other duties as assigned.
Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling or Human Genetics from an ACGC Accredited Program.
One year of experience as a genetic counselor in an oncology setting preferred. Research experience is a plus.
Board eligibility by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) or American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) required; certification preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to work in a team focused approach.
This position is based in New Haven with coverage at YNHH Fairfield and Bridgeport satellite locations.
Back to top