To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
To directly manage the activities of the purchasing and production staff, to assure proper methods of food and supply ordering and receiving, food preparation, service, proper food handling, sanitation, compliance with Hospital and departmental policies and procedures, and the regulations of local, state and federal agencies. Managerial functions such as preparing employee schedules, performance plans and evaluations, payroll approval, utilization and maintenance of production records and standardized recipes, etc. are to be completed timely. Will attend department and hospital meetings as scheduled and conduct area meetings as needed. This position is also responsible to assist the Garden Cafe Chef in the operation of the shop. Will be responsible for the Food and Nutrition Services Department in the absence of both the Director and the Food Services Manager.
- 1. Manages food production and food purchasing staff. Orients, trains and insevices, schedules and directs the work of the production and purchasing staff, prepares daily work and production assignments.
- 2. Oversees the preparation and service of high quality hot and cold food for patients, staff and visitors according to established recipes and production schedules. Establishes food orders as needed. Follows HACCP guidelines and established safety and sanitation procedures.
- 3. Develops menus for patients, cafeteria and special functions. Selects or develops and tests recipes for all menus as deemed necessary.
- 4. Supports the Garden Cafe Chef in planning and preparing high quality menus, within established food cost guidelines.
- 5. Maintains quality controls, conducts taste, temperature and appearance tests, records findings and takes corrective actions. Reviews production plans and critiques current meals with cooks and/or others on a daily basis.
- 6. May perform other duties as assigned ( example: visit patients, update departmental policies, etc.)
- 7. The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's/area's/department's policies and procedures.
Two-  year college degree in Culinary Arts or a related field
10 years prior cooking experience in an institutional setting with demonstrated managerial responsibilities for a hot and cold production staff.
Serv Safe certification
Excellent verbal and written communicative skills. Must have some computer knowledge. Must be fully trained in the art of cooking.
Ability to work in hectic and sometimes stressful situations. Standing and walking most of the day. Has ability to lift or pull medium to heavy weight objects (25 - 75 lbs.). May work in hot and humid conditions.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top