DIRECTOR RESPIRATORY CARE
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for the administration, organization, operation and educational activities of the Department of Respiratory Care and the Pulmonary Function Labs on both the YNHH and HSR campuses. Has responsibility in conjunction with the medical director, for maintaining a high standard of quality in cost effective patient care and fostering the growth and development of staff. Serves as official representative of the department and supervises all personnel through the Clinical Managers. Has administrative responsibility for the educational program in Respiratory Care. Prepares and monitors operating and capital budgets for both areas.
- 1. Plans and directs the programs and activities for the Department of Respiratory Care and the Pulmonary Function Lab, establishing short and long range goals and objectives. Coordinates respiratory support for the Advanced Lung Disease Program and other hospital initiatives requiring respiratory care, in conjunction with the medical director.
- 2. Responsible for long range strategic plans for the department.
- 3. Interprets and administers Hospital policies as they relate to the Department and develops policies for the Department within the framework of Hospital policies, and within all relevant guidelines from CMS, DPH, TJC and all other regulatory agencies.
- 4. Responsible for departmental quality assurance and improvement. Coordinates and leads department QA/CQI meetings at least quarterly. In collaboration with the Medical Director, leads meetings of the Respiratory Care Committee of the Medical Board and provides an annual report to the Clinical Quality Committee of the Medical Board.
- 5. Responsible for ongoing department process and performance improvement projects within the department and regarding departmental interfaces with other areas.
- 6. Serves as representative to the Hospital Safety Committee, Patient Experience Forums, Epic ICT and other ad hoc committees as needed. Also serves on system ad hoc committees as needed.
- 7. Develops departmental goals and innovative programs with management staff to maintain high quality services. Exercises authority to accomplish agreed upon goals.
- 8. Establishes and maintains clinical standards of performance for all department techniques and procedures
- 9. Responsible for all Human Resources aspects of the Department. Coordinates recruitment selection and appointment of necessary personnel. Responsible for all management exempt professional staff to include career development, annual goal setting and performance assessment, succession planning.
- 10. Ensures regulatory readiness and compliance with all state, local and federal standards. Ensures compliance with billing and coding of department activities. Participates in audits and remedies all findings and recommendations.
- 11. Collaborates with the Medical Director and coordinates training and lecture programs for the Department to include student training, inservice training, aides' training, etc.; for the Hospital to include medical students, nurses, LPNs, aides, dietitians, etc.; and for the community to include tours, career days, speakers' bureau, etc.
- 12. Develops, secures approval of, and administers departmental operating and capital budgets, including fee schedules.
- 13. Works with Medical Director of Advanced Lung Disease Program to review trends and direction of technological advances, and coordinates departmental responses to trends with medical director respiratory care.
- 14. Serves in an administrative role with Medical Director to support all service lines, Yale Medical Group and hospital provider based clinical needs in terms of Respiratory and Pulmonary Care. Provides timely responses to all clinical requests by such areas.
- 15. Oversees operations, provides management, strategic planning and organization oversight for pulmonary function testing (PFT) at YNHH and HSR campuses. Works with manager of PFT lab and medical director of PFT lab to continuously assess and improve PFT lab operations and ensure that the highest standard of care is provided to all patients and referring clinicians.
- 16. Initiates positive professional attitudes, behavior and philosophy, and fosters interaction of experience and knowledge within the Department.
- 17. Responsible for Service Excellence initiatives and deployment in the department. Responsible for evaluation of patient complaints and issues.
- 18. Serves as the official departmental representative with respect to correspondence, interdepartmental liaison and, as necessary, liaison, between the Department and the community.
- 19. Consults with architects, engineers and other personnel in planning for new physical facilities, purchasing of new equipment, and maintenance of the physical plant as it relates to Respiratory Care.
- 20. Facilitates all Respiratory Care staff disciplinary issues. Assists managers with employee warnings, consults with employee relations as to final warnings and discharges
- 21. Performs other administrative duties as assigned.
Masters Degree required in Business, Public or Hospital Administration or the equivalent. Experience and licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner preferred.
Five (5) to seven (7) years of management experience in a healthcare setting, academic medical center preferred.
Excellent written, oral communication and organization skills. Training in Lean/Six Sigma, Green Belt required, Black Belt preferred.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top