DIRECTOR OF REGULATORY PLANNING
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Oversees and manages the national, state and local regulatory and corporate objectives process for all Delivery Networks (DN). Manages and responds to regulatory requirements with regard to changes in current approved programs/equipment at each Delivery Network. Responsible for coordinating with leaders and managers to develop required documents, preparing for hearings before state regulatory bodies. Monitors all state-wide activity and take appropriate action to support or hinder others activity within the state, including letter writing, intervenor status action, and attending hearings in Hartford and other locations. Serves as chief liaison for regulatory matters to serve area state hospital associations. Responsible for US News and World report application. Coordinates information and activities with YNHHS Legal Services and YNHHS Government Relations. Regularly reports to HSC and DN leadership on the status of active CON and regulatory activities within the service area states. Educate and communicate regulatory issues to System leadership. Manage the Corporate Objective setting and reporting process Directs all YNHHS and Delivery Network reporting requirements for Modern Healthcare, AHA, CHA, ensuring the completion of all surveys in a timely manner and creating summaries of key findings as published in US News and World Report, Modern Healthcare and other publications.
- 1. Regulatory Requirements
- 1.1 Manages and oversees development of Certificate of Need or related regulatory applications for review by the Departments of Public Health/Office of Health Care Access (DPHs) across the health system, including Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, etc. This includes complete management throughout the regulatory process including posting of a public notice, drafting letters of determination, Certificate of Need applications, and completeness questions posed by regulatory bodies. Manages tasks with responsible administrative officers, departmental representatives, finance staff and legal counsel to define the goals and approach of the application, identify needed inputs and establishes timeframe and responsibility for the development of materials and writes the CON application.
- 2. National and State Market Research and Regulatory Surveys
- 2.1 Manage completion of various system-wide survey projects at all Delivery Networks. These surveys include, but are not limited to, the American Hospital Association Annual Survey, (which is used for the US News and World Report Rankings), Community Health Survey, Diversity Survey and others, Modern Healthcare, and various surveys with the Office of Health Care Access, Bureau of the Census and CT Department of Public Health.
- 3. Data Management and Analysis
- 3.1 To support regulatory activities, provides oversight for comprehensive and accurate analyses of all reporting, summary data and external statewide sources such as CHIME. Analyze internal financial and operational data across YNHHS for regulatory activities. Works with other staff to ensure comprehensive and accurate data analysis and interpretation to support senior level decision-making regarding regulatory aspects of strategic initiatives.
- 4. Senior Management Presentations
- 4.1 Manages and develops presentations for senior level administrators to include the preparation of written material and the development of oral presentations for senior level administrators, the Board of Trustees, Board committees, Hospital medical staff and external audiences.
- 5. Corporate Objectives
- 5.1 Manages annual Corporate Objectives development process working with leaders in human resources, quality, patient engagement, finance, etc. to create appropriate quantifiable measures and scores.
Master's degree in Healthcare or Business Administration (or related field) or Juris Doctorate
Minimum of eight years of progressive experience in the planning or administrative / operational areas of a medical center and Health System. Experience in health care regulation preferred.
Excellent written and oral communication, research and analytical skills. Advanced knowledge of Regulatory processes with the ability to draft and submit regulatory notices, letters and applications. Ability to foster collegial working relationship with regulatory staff to assist in the research and oversight of the regulatory process.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top