DIR PHYSICIAN LEADERSHIP DEV
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Director of Physician Leadership Development is responsible for all leadership development programs and practices for physicians identified as having leadership potential or currently serving in managerial or leadership positions. This position is responsible for developing training, education and development practices for all physicians identified or currently performing managerial or leadership roles. Reporting directly to the YNHHS Vice President of Education/Executive Director at the Institute for Excellence (IFE), the Director of Physician Leadership Development ensures that processes, programs and structures for physician leadership development exist to advance system-wide development, transfers, and promotions of physician leaders. The Director of Physician Leadership Development establishes an environment where development is viewed as a critical step in the career advancement of physician leaders at YNHHS. This position works closely with Delivery Network Chief Medical Officers, NEMG Chief Medical Officer and YNHHS Senior Leaders. The Director of Physician Leadership Development provides strategic input on design and delivery of physician leadership programs and organization development concerns. The Director works closely with IFE Council members to ensure that input is collected from key stakeholders. He/she collaborates across functions and Delivery Networks on the implementation of key programs and processes that are related to leadership development and succession.
- 1. Manages and leads the design, development and delivery of YNHHS physician development initiatives.
- 2. Works closely with the Delivery Network Chief Medical Officers, YNHHS Senior Leaders and the IFE Council to identify key talent in the physician ranks across YNHHS.
- 3. Identifies key competencies that are aligned with curriculum and learning experiences and are necessary to ensure success as physician leaders and managers.
- 4. Partners with senior management across YNHHS to identify and provide developmental opportunities for physician leaders.
- 5. Ensures all physician developmental experiences and all programs include sound instructional design methodology.
- 6. Serves as a coach, mentor and advocate for physician leaders.
- 7. Works with key YNHHS and Yale School of Medicine leaders to develop a culture that embraces and supports physician leaders.
- 8. Collaborates with key HR Leaders responsible for talent management.
- 9. Builds an IFE infrastructure that supports physician leadership and includes leadership continuity and succession management.
- 10. Identifies and manages external vendor relationships that support physician leadership development.
- 11. Oversees all physician leadership development operations including budget development, equipment, technology and administrative duties necessary to build a successful program.
- 12. Builds a physician leadership infrastructure that is linked to YNHHS succession and leadership continuity.
- 13. Develops an IFE staff who are dedicated to physician leadership practices and provides them with ongoing performance feedback.
- 14. Role models YNHHS values at all times.
- 15. Works closely with the Senior Vice President of Human Resources.
- 16. Effectively builds relationships at every level of YNHHS.
- 17. Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change.
- 18. Incorporates new methods when solving problems; cultivates alternative viewpoints and actively includes varied perspectives when solving problems.
- 19. Builds metrics to track physician leadership development practices and progress.
- 20. Demonstrates the ability to adapt to unexpected situations; views ambiguity as an opportunity, not as a threat.
- 21. Maintains focus and composure in difficult and stressful situations.
- 22. Aligns objectives with organizational strategies.
- 23. Understands and demonstrates diversity and inclusionary behaviors at all times.
MD or PhD in human resources, psychology, organization development, management business administration is required. Executive coaching certification preferred.
A minimum of 15 years working with leaders and senior leaders in healthcare, global and/or Fortune 500 Companies. Experience working with assessment tools, coaching, succession management, leadership development and organizational development practices. Experience working in both an internal leadership role and external consulting role would be ideal. Actively involved with C-suite executive staff (CEOs, COOs, CFOs, CMOs, CNOs and CHROs) and familiar with building sucessful coaching relationships with demonstrated outcomes. Track record as a manager or director leading executive development programs and succession management practices. Strong interpersonal skills with extensive experience in management with the ability to mentor and lead a team of highly capable professionals. Healthcare experience is required. Ability to work closely with all Delivery Network and NEMG Leaders.
Ability to assess organizations at the System level. Ability to influence without direct authority across departments and Delivery Networks. Demonstrated ability to lead groups and manage large budgets. Managerial courage and composure to communicate accurate information to senior leaders on promotions, demotions, development opportunities and nominations. Articulates a compelling vision that promotes the goals and metrics needed to track progress. Demonstrates exemplary oral and written communication skills. Encourages open communication and is willing to initiate difficult conversations when necessary. Listens with intent to hear and learn. Understands leadership continuity and succession management.
Back to top