Cook; Per Diem
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for the preparation of foods as per daily menus for patients and customers and guests. Serves on the patient and/or cafeteria serving line and helps maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen. Keeps a positive and professional attitude in the department at all times.
- 1. Prepares and cooks food for patients, cafeteria and special events, as assigned according to the daily production and or tally sheets.
- 2. Follows standardized recipes. Batch prepares foods throughout the meal service.
- 3. Ensures that all food whether cooked or raw is handled according to proper procedures as established by the hospital, department and the state and local board of healths. Uses proper cutting boards while preparing foods.
- 4. Cleans tables, tools and equipment after each use according to established guidelines and maintains a safe, orderly work area.
- 5. Demonstrates effective time management by prioritizing work according to established schedule and emergencies
- 6. Utilizes all kitchen equipment in the proper manner according to established standards.
- 7. The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's/area's/department's policies and procedures.
- 8. Uses all chemicals in their proper dilution as recommended by the manufacturer, and in their proper receptacles.
- 9. Follows established procedures for the safe handling of food and knives.
- 10. Attends meetings as scheduled.
- 11. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma, and graduate of a culinary or cooking trade school.
2-5 years in related field.
ServSafe certified or become certified within 6 months of hire
Must be able to read, write and speak English. Must be able to read and follow a recipe. Attractively garnishes plates and trays and pans.
Daily physical activity, required ability to stand and walk more than 7 hours per day for a full-time shift and the entire shift for part-time shifts, with the ability to reach and bend. The position also requires lifting, pushing, pulling carts, pallets, food and supplies. This can include occasionally pushing supplies on a cart up to 150 pounds, frequently up to 75 pounds and continously up to 50 pounds. Must be able to lift heavy to moderate weight the entire shift ( 30 - 50 pounsds). Work environment involves moderate exposure to unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and /or loud noises which require following basic safety precautions and working with cleaning chemicals and sharp knives requiring personal protective equipment (ppe) provided. Often works in hot humid conditions, occasionally very cold areas. Standing, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying medium to heavy weight objects for 7.5 hours
Back to top