CLINICAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The qualified candidate has extensive in-depth knowledge of the operation and management of medical technology and its role in the delivery of healthcare. The role facilitates the enterprise wide collaboration of multiple departments necessary to support medical device integration, clinical information systems, clinical imaging systems, and patient safety initiatives. As a engineering leader their will be communication at all levels of the organization for strategy discussions involving evolution of clinical service lines which touch in every delivery network of Yale New Haven Health System (diverse groups of MIS personnel and physician staff, nursing and technical employees). Giving the health system greater technical capacity to resolve complex technical issues as they relate to EHR integrations, reporting to the internal financial strategy, external regulatory/governing bodies, information technology infrastructure, server hardware and software, PC technologies, and medial equipment venodors.
- 1. Extensive knowledge of clinical systems architecture used for medical device interoperability.
- 2. Provides technical expertise and guidance in the installation of FDA regulated medical devices and required provisions such as network, power, mounting. Evaluates and advises on systems software, hardware selection, and infrastructure design. Works directly with ITS to develop the appropriate integrations with all other clinical information systems including integration with the clinical community's varied information systems.
- 3. Remains knowledgeable about current and emerging clinical interoperability technologies, as well as the Federal, State, and local laws and regulations pertaining to them.
- 4. Coordination of installation, monitoring, maintenance, troubleshooting, documentation, configuration, performance, and testing of hardware, software, and networks used for integration of biomedical devices.
- 5. Analyzes, defines, configures, and tests clinical device data used for transmitting Health Level 7 ("HL7") , DICOM, or other associated data to the EMR(s), integration engines, and analytics databases.
- 6. Work with other information technology groups on the exchange, integration, sharing, and retrieval of electronic health information to define how information is packaged and communicated from one party to another, setting the language, structure and data types required for seamless integration between systems
- 7. Responsible for identifying and addressing the root cause of issues to effectively restore clinical operations and develop strategies for preventing them in the future.
- 8. Manages the change control processes and notification to the broad user community of health professionals, technicians and executive leadership for modification/maintenance to existing production systems in conjunction with the ITS health system protocol.
- 9. Responsible for gathering customer requirements, analyzing and documenting current and future state workflows relating to medical equipment placement and operation.
- 10. Demonstrated understanding of disaster recovery and business continuity as it relates to clinical application infrastructure, including concepts surrounding cluster technologies, application load balancing, and application recovery processes.
- 11. Awareness and consultation to SAN environments including hardware, software and firmware updates.
- 12. In depth understanding of the DICOM protocol and its function within the TCP-IP stack, with extended awareness to SQL Server database environment.
- 13. Provides continuing education training to super users, clinical staff, ITS staff, and technicians on technologies as it relates to patient care workflow.
- 14. Manages the clinical systems computing community, including adherence to hospital wide security initiatives to provide a secure computing environment, application of all software updates within this environment, as well as maintenance and implementation of new and existing technologies.
- 15. Expresses ideas clearly and in a positive professional manner both orally and in writing. Acting often in the role of project manger developing robust plans for the installation, planning, upgrading of medical ? information systems of the clinical service line.
- 16. Demonstrates cooperative interaction with co-workers and other hospital employees, works collaboratively with other departments to achieve patient care goals.
- 17. Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively and positively with a wide variety of internal and external customers.
- 18. Facilitates enterprise wide collaboration with appropriate teams not limited to Clinical Engineering, Facilities, ITS, Vendors, Clinicians and EMR analysts to support interoperability projects.
- 19. Work with a clinical and technical team to analyze and implement efficient workflow processes, including both the creation of new and the improvement of existing by taking advantage of Information Technologies.
- 20. Maintains flexibility in work assignments and provides support to others as can be helpful to the success of the group in meeting its goals and responsibilities.
- 21. Ability to facilitate discussions with key stake holders and provide recommendations for improvements.
- 22. Innovative and forward thinking individual who initiates pertinent issues and probing questions when necessary.
- 23. Inspires confidence and inquisitiveness with all employees at all levels of the organization. Stands as a positive example for others.
- 24. Recognizes importance of determining highest priorities and demonstrates ability to perform with optimum use of time and materials.
- 25. Promotes a positive image of the department and the organization through professional conduct, appearance and communication.
- 26. Supports the department and organization?s mission and goals.
- 27. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in technical discipline built in the foundations of Biomedical Engineering, or Computer Information Systems, or Computer Science or related disciplines and work related experience. Master?s degree is preferable.
Technical project management, implementation, and operational support experience preferred in a healthcare environment. Six (6) years of experience with health care professionals and clinical information systems. Experience working with customers to gather system requirements, documenting workflow, and providing technical solutions. Knowledge of medical devices including but not limited to radiology modalities, physiological monitoring, medication administration equipment, and respiratory ventilation. Working knowledge of information security best practices, project management methods, information systems reporting, server technology, wireless communications basics, and clinical workflows related to clinical practice such as but not limited to pharmacy, anesthesia, cardiology, and radiology preferred.
Resourceful self-motivated individual interested in learning new technologies to improve patient care and clinical quality. Customer service oriented individual comfortable with interacting with clinicians, technical and operational staff at all levels of the organization. Demonstrated knowledge of a broad array of biomedical equipment, facilities planning, inventory management, and quality control.
On-call as required.
Must travel to all YNHHS sites as needed.
Minor equipment lifting required.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top