CHILDBIRTH EDUCATOR II
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of the Education Coordinator for the Childbirth Education Program, the Childbirth Educator is responsible for providing
education to women who are currently or recently pregnant and their families.
- 1. Establishes a professional rapport and empowers women to make informed choices.
- 2. Demonstrates a strong understanding of adult learning principles, current clinical care and leadership.
- 3. Demonstrates strong communication skills.
- 4. Assesses participants level of understanding and adapts instruction to benefit the participants.
- 5. Contributes verbal and written feedback to the Childbirth Education Coordinator in regards to program development and needs. .
- 6. Facilitates and models development of critical thinking, problem solving and communications skills among the students.
- 7. Promotes professional self-development and enhances expertise through literature reviews and attendance at conferences related to prenatal education, childbirth, and breastfeeding.
- 8. Collaborates with Childbirth Education Coordinator to assure that appropriate level of instruction and content is planned and executed.
- 9. Assists in the review of class content to assure the information provided accurately reflects current practice and evidence.
- 10. Serves as a resource for staff regarding community services available to prenatal patients.
- 11. Promotes effective working relationships interdepartmentally to facilitate the department's ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- 12. Reinforces behaviors consistent with customer service standards.
- 13. Collaborates on departmental projects related to prenatal care, childbirth and lactation services.
- 14. Supports leadership in ensuring that excellent customer service standards are met.
- 15. Assists in the care and maintenance of instructional materials, equipment and class records.
- 16. Negotiates a personal development plan based on self-evaluation and peer review.
- 17. In collaboration with the Childbirth Education Coordinator, assists with the development and implementation of performance improvement plans when needed.
- 18. Performs other related work as assigned or required.
2-3 years of clinical experience in perinatal healthcare.
RN Licensure required. Must possess a national certification in Childbirth Education or an advanced practice degree.
Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top