Certified Sterile Processing Tech
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Assists the SPD Management team with the daily workflow.
Assists with instrument training and equipment repairs.
Train new staff how to work in the varying areas of the department
Be a SPD role model for customer service, professional conduct and leadership.
- 1. Assists in managing the work flow of SPD on a daily basis. Contributes to the productivity and efficiency of the department. Works closely with Operating room staff. Ensure that emergency add-on cases are completed as soon as possible. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide the appropriate information needed to identify each customer request.
- 2. Knowledge of the complex factors that affect the process of sterilization, as well as specific procedures that should be followed for all Hospital sterilization. Learn all specialty equipment in order to be able to assist in ongoing training of other staff. Maintain all SPD processing equipment, scheduling maintenance when necessary.
Records all completed training events and in-services provided to the SPD staff.
- 3. Performs all activities of the Sterile Processing Aide, including Decontamination,
Packaging, Processing, Dispensing, Inventory management and Storage. Familiar with all types of specialty instrumentation from the Operating room, Labor & Delivery, Cath Lab, Emergency department, and other specialty areas of the hospital.
- 4. Assists in management of Orthopedic instrumentation coming from outside Vendors. Responsible for following the process from decontamination through sterilization. Works closely with staff, so instruments are available for scheduled operative procedure.
- 5. Monitors all patient care medical equipment; assures availability. Sends equipment to Biomedical dept. for repairs. Monitors Code 5000 Emergency Carts.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Proficiency and understanding of medical terminology that accompanies the SPD department. Must have SPD certification.
Sterile Processing & Distribution Certification.
Excellent interpersonal skills with nursing, hospital staff and outside vendors.
Provides feedback and follow-up in a timely manner.
Standing or walking most of the day. Sufficient mobility and strength to move throughout department and lift heavy items weighing up to 50 pounds. Pushing and pulling sterilizer carriages, case carts and wire supply carts. Heavy lifting or bending associated with decontaminating soiled instruments, laundry placement and garbage from the Operating Room.
May be exposed to ethylene oxide, blood, sharp objects, infectious diseases and extreme heat from autoclaves. Maybe required to wear personal protection equipment for lengthy periods of time.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top