BLOOD GAS TECHNICIAN
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Picks up and analyzes arterial blood gas samples, reports results, performs quality control analysis, and routine and emergency maintenance.
- 1. Picks up, analyzes and reports arterial blood gas results promptly, accurately and efficiently to ensure immediate, correct care to patients.
- 1.1 Picks up routine blood gas sample no later than 20 minutes after receiving a call, 100% of the time, unless floor is notified of the delay as observed by the supervisor.
- 2. Performs quality control analysis to ensure equipment efficiency and accuracy of results.
- 2.1 Runs all three blood gas quality controls for each shift. QC results are recorded properly as observed by supervisor.
- 3. Performs routine and emergency maintenance on equipment to ensure proper testing for patients.
- 3.1 Checks all reagents and solutions at the start of shift and replaces, if necessary, as observed by the supervisor.
Graduation from high school, supplemented by at least one (1) year experience in a medical environment.
Six (6) months to one (1) year of experience in a blood gas laboratory or general medical laboratory, preferred.
An understanding of blood gas laboratory procedures.
Back to top