BED MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Bed Management Associate (BMA) is responsible for patient placement in the acute care setting and the coordination of staffing plans for Patient Care Services (PCS) units. Through utlization of multiple computer systems including EPIC, enhances patient throughput and provides accurate staffing and scheduling data. The BMA is responsible for verifying, reconciling and broadcasting the hospital census to the distribution group. The BMA works in conjunction with the Bedflow Manager (BFM) or Off Shift Administrative Manager in the facilitation of continuous patient throughput from all points of entry and internal transfers. The BMA is an essential member of the Safe Patient Flow (SPF) team and collaborates with others to achieve organizational strategic goals and objectives.
"Come Grow With Us"
- 1. Patient Throughput
- 1.1 Assigns all elective and emergent admissions and transfers including adult non-maternity and pediatric patients.
- 2. Census Verification
- 2.1 Using the bed management system, documents as appropriate all bed movement activity to assist in the census compilation for distribution within the hospital to support hospital wide budget and financial goals.
- 3. Technology Resource Management
- 3.1 Maintains strong working knowledge of EPIC and bed tracking reports along with all other applicable systems that will affect and support bed placement activities.
- 4. Resource Management
- 4.1 The Bed Management Associate provides support in other designated work environments within PCS to support department and patient needs.
- 5. Supports Organizational and Departmental Goals
- 5.1 Performs all functions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- 6. Staffing and Scheduling Management
- 6.1 Participate in report between Off Shift Administrative Manager and staffing personnel.
- 7. Service Excellence
- 7.1 Ensures smooth functioning of the bed management process in order to reduce wait times and avoid unnecessary movement of patients.
- 8. Other
- 8.1 Other duties may be assigned based on departmental and or organizational need.
Associate Degree in Business, Health Administration/Health Services, or related field required or relevant strong customer service/technology/healthcare equivalent experience (i.e. EMT-B or EMT-P strongly preferred).
Three (3) or more years experience in a hospital/healthcare environment with experience in coordinating and managing patient flow activities and accurate bed placement to support the delivery of patient care. Strong clinical understanding of patient diagnoses and related care needs.
Excellent interpersonal, analytical, assessment, and computer skills to support critical decision making in effective bed management. Ability to effectively communicate with physicians, housestaff, and nursing leadership in identifying patient clinical needs and coordination of delivery of care. Must be able to prioritize and re-evaluate continuously based on urgent requests and patient flow challenges. Must be able to work under intense pressure with ability to problem solve and multi-task.
Back to top