APPLICATION ANALYST III
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the minimal direction, coordinates the compilation of technical components of a project or program. Assumes responsibility for achieving desired results. Is involved with project organization, cost estimating, milestone definition, scheduling execution and documentation. Responsible for the design lifecycle of programs requiring advanced technical knowledge and utilization of advanced programming and data base techniques. Competent to work at the highest technical level. Acts as the technical expert for ITS managers, computer operations personnel and project personnel during all phases of systems development.
- 1. Guides a team of analysts and/or programmers in the development and/or support of automated and manual systems; provides technical guidance in analytical tasks.
- 2. Evaluates requests for systems development and enhancement.
- 3. Conducts needs analysis study, including evaluation of current environment (user and computer) by observation, interview, and examination of existing systems documentation, manual, forms, etc.
- 4. Participates with users and Application Coordinators to define and document current and future business needs.
- 5. Documents specific design specifications. Participates with user and Application Coordinator in design of production and conversion plan to ensure smooth transition from current to new environment. In conjunction with the application owner and leadership, designs input and output formats, screens, and reports.
- 6. Designs interface, both automated and manual, between users systems.
- 7. Develops test data and / or designs of test protocols.
- 8. Develops user and ITS procedure manuals.
- 9. Monitors progress against plan and provides management reports as required.
- 10. Provides technical guidance and support to the Application Coordinator in the development of plans for maintenance and development of assigned systems.
- 11. Utilizing in-depth technical knowledge, analyzes and evaluates outside software to asses compliance with ITS guidelines. Develops recommendations for acquisition.
- 12. Participates in determining the nature and scope of project activities and processes to be developed or modified. Determines and recommends technical programming approaches and solutions to complex applications.
- 13. Creates program specifications, flow charts, and decision tables to be translated into appropriate computer instructions and/or codes for most complex programs.
- 14. Specifies and arranges test data and coordinates test processing for newly developed systems under minimal direction of Applications Systems Supervisor. Trouble-shoots programs and systems by isolating and correcting testing errors.
- 15. Develops or assists in the development of the most complex programming routines, programs and functions according to detail design and user needs.
- 16. Provides technical expertise and guidance in the development of formal cost estimates, time estimates, and human resources required to develop and/or modify systems.
- 17. Develops the performance metrics and a formal statement of expected performance for new or modified systems including the sequence of significant processes, actions, and functional segments.
- 18. Performs job-related duties in conformance with MIS standards; may initiate standards.
- 19. Performs all duties and responsibilities in such a manner in accordance with the "I Am Yale-New Haven" service excellence program. Promotes positive and constructive working relationships within the department.
- 20. Performs other job related duties, as required.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related disciplines, or technical training and work related experience (courses in systems analysis and design, DBMS, screen design techniques, forms design, data gathering, oral and written communication).
Eight (8) years or more of experience in a variety of programming and analytical activities; at least four (4) years of analytical experience; on-line, real time and data base environment. Experience in a healthcare environment preferred.
Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision and ability to deal with simultaneous tasks, communicate effectively, problem solve, and develop creative solutions to complex problems required . Demonstrated ability to work well under tight time constraints and manage time effectively. Ability to work effectively with limited supervision on projects with a small to mid-size scope. Strong organizational, problem solving and listening skills, attention to detail, innovative thinking and ability to inspire others required. Must possess a high level of customer service skills and participate as a strong collaborative team player. Candidate must be capable of taking a leadership role in managing end-user relationships. Expert level technical development skills. SQL and ability to master new skills/programming languages as required.
Must be willing to travel to all YNHHS delivery networks and practice locations for support needs. 24x7 on call rotation support.
This position is currently in North Haven, CT, but is expected to move to Stratford, CT within the next 18 months. Any interested candidate must be willing to work in the Stratford, CT location in the near future.
See Inside the Office of Yale New Haven Hospital
Yale New Haven Hospital provides diverse comprehensive care in over 100 medical specialties. As the primary teaching hospital of the Yale School of Medicine, YNHH provides around-the-clock coverage and insightful, research-supported patient care. In addition to providing quality medical care to patients and families, Yale New Haven Hospital is the second largest employer in the New Haven area, with more than 12,000 employees.
Back to top