Machine Learning Principal Audio Engineer
XPERI is looking for a Principal Scientist/Engineer to join our highly skilled Audio R&D team. The ideal candidate is expected to assume a technical leadership role in cutting edge research that will drive the next generation of XPERI AI/ML Audio products.
She/he will have a proven record of having worked on advanced research topics in areas such as Natural Language Processing, Information Theory, Data Science, Deep Learning, Probability/Statistics, Classification, Large-Scale Optimization, and Audio/Imaging signal processing. A strong understanding of how research is turned into successful products is also required for this position. In addition, the candidate is expected to demonstrate a structured and very detail-oriented approach to their work and follow rigorous scientific and engineering approaches. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and focused, comfortable collaborating with geographically dispersed teams, passionate about AI/ML and audio, a team player, and eager to make a difference as a member of a motivated team of audio researchers and practitioners. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, excellent written and spoken communication skills, and a strong drive to solve problems and disrupt the status quo are also required for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with other members of the audio R&D team, as well as members of the office of the CTO, develop state of the art algorithms, theories, and methods that can solve real-world, large-scale AI/ML problems in the domain of audio processing.
- Maintain and update existing ML algorithms/theories/methods.
- Generate technical documentation and test procedures in support of produced research.
- Collaborate with other teams of the organization to ensure successful commercialization, deployment, and maintenance of developed algorithms and methods.
- Contribute to the IP portfolio of the company.
- Be an active member of the AI/ML audio community by among others writing papers, attending conventions and conferences, and contributing to industrial and academic activities.
- Stay up to date with the latest relevant research and trends and perform critical analysis of the competitive landscape.
- Maintain detailed records of work and produce technical reports and presentations for other groups of the organization.
Education and Experience
- Graduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field with at least 6 years of experience for master’s holders or at least 3 years of experience for PhD holders.
- Proven record of having developed state of the art algorithms, theory, and or methods in one of the areas of interest listed in the job description.
- Experience with at least one Machine Learning framework such as Caffe or TensorFlow is preferred.
- Strong coding skills in at least two of C/C++, Python, R, Scala.
- Linux and experience with CUDA are a plus.
- Good understanding of fixed-point coding and/or hardware implementations is preferred.
- Familiarity with at least one version control system, preferably Git.
- A record of patents and/or publications is preferred.
- Agile/Kanban development expertise is preferred.
- Familiarity with Atlassian tool suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket) is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Fluent with Microsoft Office.
- Project management skills.
- Windows/PC, Linux and/or Mac regular user.
- Familiar with AWS.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for any of audio and/or imaging applications, IoT, AR/VR/MR, Autonomous Driving, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work with little supervision.
This position involves working mainly in a typical desk/office environment, but it can also involve working in a lab setting. Travel to other XPERI offices may be required occasionally.
Location: Los Gatos, California or Calabasas, California.
Back to top