WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE SOFTWARE ENGINEER ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
XO Group is looking to hire an experienced software engineer to join our Core Services team. This small team of engineers are responsible for the APIs, SDKs, and databases for the central services that support the various teams and products of The Knot. You will work on all aspects of the development lifecycle, from design through deployment, for some of the most widely used services on The Knot. You will work with a variety of teams at XO, from Product to Business Intelligence, to ensure the services built perform and meet the needs of our user-facing products as well as our business.
- Design and develop new features and services for the teams of The Knot; work primarily in Ruby and Rails.
- Continuously monitor performance and stability of services and databases to identify performance issues or opportunities for improvements.
- Maintain API documentation and SDKs to help teams around XO easily consume your APIs.
- Explore and learn new languages/tools (we’re currently exploring Elixir and Kubernetes) to continually improve the performance of our applications and infrastructure.
- Promote best practices surrounding TDD, continuous integration, code standards, etc.
- Engage in cross-team engineering and technology initiatives at XO.
- Provide mentorship to junior members of the team.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years working on production-level web applications, ideally using Ruby & Rails.
- 1+ years building and maintaining Restful APIs.
- Experience working with databases and experience with data storage best practices for both SQL and NoSQL databases. MongoDB experience a plus.
- Consider solid automated test coverage to be an important part of the development process. Experience with TDD and testing frameworks a plus.
- Experience with Docker and deploying applications to AWS. Kubernetes experience is also a plus.
- Familiarity with the full application stack. Experience with front-end web and/or native mobile development is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From generous parental leave benefits to free snacks and company outings, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
Back to top